Senior Spotlight: Suzanna Mosley

Anna Scott Wingfield, Editor-in-chief

This weeks’ Senior Spotlight features Suzanna Mosley, a student since kindergarten and staple at Rocky Mount Academy. Suzanna is very involved not only in her school but also the community. She is a member of Key Club, Youth and Government (where she is a Delegation Leader), Global Studies Program, Academy Rescue Foundation, and serves as co-chair of the Honor Council. When asked about Suzanna, classmate Neha Baliga states: “Suzanna is genuinely one of the most charismatic and kindhearted person I have ever met. Wherever she goes, she always puts a smile on everyone’s face and light up the room.” Athletically, Suzanna’s presence is felt on the tennis courts as a senior captain, cheerleading team in the fall, and soccer team in the spring, where she will also serve as captain.

Outside of school, Suzanna is very involved in Girl Scouts, Debu-ettes, and her youth group at First Presbyterian Church. She also works at Hardee’s, which is her family’s tradition. Suzanna has worked there since 10th grade as a cashier and front line worker. Anyone close to Suzanna will tell you that she enjoys her job and the new people she has met through it. This year, Suzanna was honored with the Girl Scout Gold Award which is the highest achievement in Girl Scouting. For her Gold Award project, Awareness and Prevention of Teen Dating Violence, Suzanna created, printed and distributed a brochure that focused on educating local middle and high school girls about dating violence and she also hosted an Easter party for children at My Sister’s House in Rocky Mount. She raised money for the event by holding a yard sale and bought bed linens and tables to donate with the leftover money. Her Easter party provided a fun celebration for children who come from unfortunate and difficult family living situations.

In Debu-ettes, she served as Bell Ringer for Presentation at the end of her sophomore year, an honor given to the member with the highest number of service hours. Also an honor based on service hours, she was selected as a Junior Marshal for Presentation last year. Additionally, anyone who knows Suzanna knows of her passion for horseback riding, which has been a part of her life since she was in Kindergarten. She competes in shows frequently, always earning high honors and awards. Another interest of Suzanna’s is piano, which she has been taking lessons since she was in 1st grade.

Suzanna enjoys to travel and has had multiple opportunities to do so while in high school. In ninth grade, she went on the Pacific Northwest Moondance trip to Oregon and Washington. During the summer before eleventh grade, she traveled to Thailand with Moondance Adventures which was a once in a lifetime experience for Suzanna. Lastly, she went on the school sponsored trip to China over spring break of her junior year. Who knows where she will go next!

Read the questions below to learn more about this week’s Senior Spotlight, Suzanna Mosley.

How long have you attended Rocky Mount Academy?

I have been at RMA since kindergarten

When you were little, what did you want to be?

When I was younger I wanted to be a professional slalom water skier

Do you have a nickname?

Most people just call me Smose.

What are your pet peeves?

My pet peeve would have to be when people drive slow in the left lane on the highway.

What kind of music is on your Spotify?

I listen to pretty much everything but country.

If you could travel anywhere, where would you chose?

I would probably travel back to Thailand to help at the elephant rescue center I went to two summers ago.

Have you decided where you are going to apply to college?

As of now I am applying to High Point University and Wofford College

If you already know, what would you like to study in college?

I think I want to do something along the lines of pediatric nursing.

What class have you enjoyed the most at RMA and why?

I enjoy ceramics a lot because I like making cool pots.

If you could go through high school again would you choose to do anything different?

If I could go back I would probably keep myself from wishing the next four years would rush by and I would have taken advantage of all the opportunities I had

What will you miss most about Rocky Mount Academy?

I will miss my grade because we have been together for so long and are so close