Faculty Focus: Mr. Shawn Leonard

Thomas Moore, Treasurer

Mr. Leonard, the music teacher, is this week’s faculty focus. Mr. Leonard has been with the RMA team for almost three years now. He truly influences so many student’s lives through the music that they are to play and enjoy together. Many students would agree that Mr. Leonard is an awesome teacher and a phenomenal person. To get a better look inside Mr. Leonard’s life we asked him some questions, and his answers are below.

1.   Where are you from originally?

I grew up in the Washington DC area.  I went to school in Boston so I lived there for many years.  After a short stint in Nashville TN, I moved back to DC and now I live here in Rocky Mount.

1.   Where did you go to college and what major did you pursue? Graduate school? Beyond?

I went to Berklee College of Music in Boston.  I also studied at George Mason University.  It was such a great experience, surrounded by music all day every day and interacting with some truly wonderful musicians from all over the world.

1.   Have you had any careers previous to your time at Rocky Mount Academy?

Well, I have had many jobs in the past but my only career was in music.  I have been a musician for almost 20 years both as a player and a teacher.  I played in several bands, mostly behind the drum set.  I have also played guitar and ukulele in a few projects.  As a performer, I was able to share the stage with talented musicians, travel and see new places and meet some very cool people along the way which makes for a good way to spend your time.  I also taught private lessons, mainly on drums and guitar.  Teaching has given me the ability to pass on the tradition of music.  It also has given me a different perspective on music than I had when I was in college as a student.  I am constantly evolving as a musician, taking on different projects, different students.  I am blessed to be able to do what I do and I will continue for as long as I am able.

1.   What are your hobbies/interests?

Music is my main hobby, I am lucky that it is also the way I make my living.  I also enjoy going to see live shows, weather it is a musician or a play, live shows are very cool.  I have had the opportunity to see shows around here like the Tar River Children’s Choir as well as the chamber singers that Dr. Fritschel sings with.  There are some very talented musicians in this area if you do a little exploring.

1.   Have you been involved in sports, music, art, etc. growing up? If so, elaborate.

I have been playing music since middle school.  Though I enjoy art, I would definitely not be able to make a living as an artist.  The main sport I was involved with is soccer.  I started playing at a young age and continued through my early 20’s until I left for school.  Soccer then took a back seat to my drums.

1.   Have you had any experiences abroad?

I have had the great fortune to visit some amazing places.  Some of my favorites include Montreal, Copenhagen, and Stockholm.  There are so many more places that I would love to visit.  I also have explored this country a fair amount, even took a cross country road trip.  This country has so many differently wonderful places from east to west, north to south.  I never get tired of finding new places to explore.

1.   If you had to select one moment in your life that defined you, what would it be?

The present.  It is always where I am and it is always the culmination of my life to that point.

1.   What made you want to pursue a career in teaching?

I never thought about being a teacher as a career.  I started teaching music lessons to supplement my income between shows and found so many wonderful perks you get when you teach.  I noticed that I became a better musician after I started teaching.  The nature of music lessons also allows for students to study with me for many years.  That enables a strong bond to form not just with the student but with the parents as well.  After a while, I realized that I was kind of good at it and here we are.

1.  What is something that nobody knows about you?

I used to have really long hair.  There may even be a picture or two out there to prove this.  If you are really lucky, you may get a chance to see one.

1.  Describe a person who has made the biggest impact on your life.

Just one huh, Then it would have to be mom.  She is definitely the coolest person I know.

1.  What are your biggest pet peeves?

People who are rude.

1.  Describe your dream vacation.

Being with people I love and enjoying their company.

1. What is your favorite TV show and why?

I love the theme song from “Night Court”, that bass line is killer.  The theme from “Cheers” is a classic, everybody knows its name.  The theme song from “Charmed” is a Morrissey tune that I really like.

1. What is your favorite part about being at Rocky Mount Academy?

I love the sense of community here at RMA.  I have felt like I was a part of it from day 1.