RMA Students Participate in 4H

Caitlyn Vester, Co-editor

Leadership, citizenship, responsibility, and life skills are a few aspects of 4H that make it so special. This past 4H year, many Rocky Mount Academy students were involved in 4H by showing livestock projects, participating in community service activities, giving public speaking presentations, and more. The 4H motto is “To make the best better”; a motto that these students have applied to things other than just 4H. Because of their dedication to this wonderful youth organization, these students have developed lasting friendships, knowledge, talents, and a love and understanding of animals.

Below are that RMA students in 4H and all of their accomplishments this past 4H year.

Lillie Medlin- Junior

Lillie has participated in 4H for 9 years and is a long time member of 4H club “Now Ya Workin’”. During this past 4H livestock show, Lillie received 4th overall in the market division and received Reserved Champion Senior Showman. She even helped her little cousin Kendall, who is 7, show her fist lamb in the Clover Bud show and helped a special needs boy show a lamb in the Special Show. Furthermore, Lillie participated in the 4H public speaking competition and won gold at states. Lillie was even eligible to present her project in Louisville, Kentucky, but sadly, something came up and she was unable to attend. Perhaps most importantly this year, Lillie was awarded the most prestigious honor in 4H, being inducted into the 4H Honor Club. When asked what 4H has taught her, Lillie responded “I believe 4-H has not only taught me about the agricultural area of our current world, but has taught me leadership and essential life skills to help me succeed in the road that lies ahead.”

Caleb Heath- 4th Grader

Caleb Heath is a member of the Wilson County 4-H Program and has just completed his livestock project for the Wilson County 4-H Livestock Show & Sale that was held in March. Caleb showed two pigs that placed 2nd and 4th in their classes and was even a finalist in the Junior Showmanship Division. This year, he received the Junior 4-H Member of the Year due to his involvement in 4-H Public Speaking Presentations, community service activities, 4-H camp, participation in regional livestock shows, NC State Fair and livestock circuit shows. He also won the 2015 Reserve Champion Dorset at the NC State Fair. However, Caleb’s participation is more than just livestock, he is actively involved in community service projects and is now participating in a Wildlife Habitat Evaluation Program preparing for a state competition in May.

Dylan Proctor- Senior

Dylan is a member of the Red Oak Acorns 4H club. This club placed first in community service and second in the overall club scrapbook. This past 4H year, Dylan served as the Nash County Council President. He even completed a two year rotation with a 4-H exchange club in Pennsylvania. At the 4H livestock show, Dylan placed 2nd in his weight class for his market lamb.

Skyler Proctor: 7th Grader

Skyler is a member of the Red Oak Acorns club that placed first in Community Service Club and Second place for club scrapbook.

Riley Proctor: 2nd Grader   

Riley is a member of the Red Oak Acorns club that placed first in Community Service Club and Second place for club scrapbook. At the 4H livestock show, Riley placed 5th in his weight class for his market lamb.

Caitlyn Vester- Junior

Caitlyn is a member of the “Now Ya Workin’” 4H club and has participated in 4H for 5 years. Caitlyn has participated in many community service projects such as selling Kiss Cancer Goodbye Lollipops, collecting food cans to be donated to local shelters, attending 2 arena clean ups at the Edgecombe County Arena, and more. Caitlyn also helped her younger sister with her lamb, teaching her all the important details that come with raising an animal. Additionally, Caitlyn raised a lamb of her own this past year to be shown at the livestock show, but due to an unexpected event on show day, she was unable to participate.

Mackenzie Thompson- Senior

Mackenzie is a member of the “Now Ya Workin’” 4H club and has participated in 4H for 6 long years. This past year, she won 4th place in the Market Steer Show and 1st place Best Edgecombe County Steer. Additionally, Mackenzie also completed many community service projects. She sold Kiss Cancer Goodbye Lollipops, attended the NC State Citizenship Focus where she spoke with county representatives, participated in the Hunger to Help project, and collected and donated food cans to local shelters. When asked what 4H means to her, Mackenzie responded “4H has presented me with so many opportunities, relationships, and memories that I will never forget.”