Senior Spotlight: Lindsey Ross

Julia High, Marketing Team

This week’s senior spotlight features “lifer” and definite stand out, Lindsey Ross. Lindsey’s approachable and friendly disposition makes her one of the most well-known people on campus. Throughout Lindsey’s fourteen years at RMA, she has contributed to the RMA community in countless ways. Whether on the tennis court, in the classroom, or leading a club, Lindsey has spread her positive energy all over campus.

Academically, Lindsey has maintained a challenging schedule with all AP or honors classes all four years of high school. She is an accomplished AP scholar, taking 7 AP classes and receiving 5s on the final exams for several of them. She has received several academic awards throughout high school including academic excellence in World Cultures, AP Psychology, and Spanish 3. She has also been a member of the National Honor Society since being inducted in the 10th grade and was a graduation Marshall her junior year. Lindsey’s impressive accomplishments in the class room with her many activities outside of school made her an obvious nominee for the prestigious Park Scholarship this fall. She made it to the semi – finalist round, but Lindsey has decided to attend Wake Forest University this fall.

Outside of the class room, Lindsey’s impressive amount of extracurricular activities help define her as an asset to RMA. She is currently the president of C.A.R.E Club, which focuses on promoting kindness on and off of RMA’s campus, and raising money for local and international organizations. She is also an active member in other clubs including: Key Club, International Club, and Model UN. Another way Lindsey has impacted the RMA community is visible in her participation in the STARs tutoring program. In STARs, she spends time tutoring a lower school student once a week. As well as lending her time to better the RMA community, Lindsey is an active member in her church. She has completed several service projects with her youth group in the local community, as well as places out of state. Lindsey has also participated in service projects on the global level. In the summer of 2014, Lindsey traveled to Costa Rica and Nicaragua for a Spanish immersion trip through Broadreach. As well as improving her Spanish, Lindsey worked to improve local homes and teach English to the children of Nicaragua. After the trip, which she received a $2,000 scholarship for, the Broadreach program recognized Lindsey as a Broadreach Alumni Ambassador for her outstanding leadership. After all of her community service work, it is no surprise that Lindsey is a member of the Global Studies Honors Program at RMA where she will complete her capstone service project this spring. One could go on about all of Lindsey’s countless accomplishments and how much she has done to improve the communities of RMA and Rocky Mount, but what Lindsey will really be remembered for, on and off campus, is her outgoing and loveable personality. Lindsey has a way to make everyone she comes in contact with feel special and appreciated. Be it a teacher or one of her little sister’s 1st grade friends, Lindsey is sure to stop and initiate conversation with a big smile and a witty sense of humor. We wish her the best in her future in college and beyond, but be sure to take a look at the interview below to get to know her a little better!

1. What is your favorite show on Netflix?

– I can’t answer that. The Office, Gossip Girl, and Dexter are all very different, but I love each of them equally. I also like House.

1. What do you like to do outside of school?

– I work for the Everettes Monday through Wednesday after school and during the summer. Ada (8th grade), Emma, Anna, (twins who will be joining RMA in 5th grade next year!!), and I go to the beach, pool, and tons of places in between. It will be a sad goodbye in August after spending two years together! I also work at the Benvenue Country Club Tennis Center almost every Saturday and Sunday. When I am not working, I like to run, make oatmeal, and spend time with my family and friends.

1. What will you miss most about RMA? The least?

– I will miss feeling at home. After spending more of my life at school than at home over these past 12 years, the people here are what make it feel like home. I will miss the frigid sink water the least.

1. What has been your favorite class at RMA?

– AP Psychology or AP English

1. Do you have any nicknames?

– Some people call me Lindz, but I only like for certain people to call me that. I’m actually pretty good at coming up with nicknames. Ask Roney.

1. Where will you be attending college?

– Wake Forest!!!

1. What do you plan on studying in college?

– I plan on going into my freshman year undecided, but English is my favorite so I may go in that direction.

1. What kind of music is on your Spotify?

– I have a wide array of music including; rock, pop, rap, Irish clogging music, and even Native American flute music.

1. What are your pet peeves?

– That’s tough because I have so many… I don’t like when people are consistently negative.

1. If you could be the best at anything, what would it be?

– Learning new information or skills.

1. What are you most proud of accomplishing during your time at RMA?

– Getting into Wake is my first, but getting through long division in 5th grade is a close second. I wish I was kidding. Ask Mrs. Jared about all the help I needed until it eventually clicked. It was an unforgettable moment when I finally got it.