Faculty Focus: Ms. Amy Knox

Faculty Focus: Ms. Amy Knox

This week’s Faculty Focus is centered on high school English teacher Ms. Knox. Ms. Knox teaches 10th-12th grade English and is also in charge of the Upper School SGA. She is a favorite among all students thanks to her relatable sense of humor and kindness. Whether she is baking goodies for RMA’s sports teams, ranting about how UNC is better than Duke (for students that have her today, I hope you’re not a Duke fan), or telling a plethora of stories about her cat, Ms. Knox is a face everyone knows and loves here at RMA.

To learn more about Ms. Knox, read her interview below!

What college did you attend?

UNC-Chapel Hill and Wake Forest (but when they play each other, I always pull for Carolina!)

What are your hobbies outside of school?   

I’m a big family/friends person. I have a small family and a small circle of really great friends, and I try to make them a priority. With my mom, I do a lot of shopping. With friends, it’s usually trying out new restaurants in Raleigh—preferably ones with ethnic food (Indian is my favorite) and/or amazing desserts. Speaking of food, I love to bake, of course (and to share those goodies with my students). Crafting is also something I enjoy: I have a whole Christmas village that I painted myself, and all the wreaths I put on my front door were made from scratch.

What is a little known fact about you?    

I—the famous “crazy cat lady” on campus—once had a dog. Yes, a dog! His name was Shadow, and he was a black and white cocker spaniel. He wasn’t too bright, but he was very sweet. I don’t care what people say about how you can train dogs; I maintain that cats are much smarter.

What is your favorite type of music?

I have fairly eclectic taste in music: everything from what’s on the radio now to Oldies and beach music. I actually have a real love of big band music from the 1930s and 1940, which I suppose is out of the ordinary.

What is your favorite thing about RMA?  

We’re family here. We know each other, look out for each other, and just love each other. I don’t remember all the students I taught at college, but I know every one of my RMA graduates and still keep up with many of them.

What is the most rewarding part of your job?

There are so many things! The most meaningful moments to me are the times that students have really shown me who they are—the real them, not the classroom version. Having a few minutes of downtime here or there (like taking my seniors out to lunch, my advisees to a ball game, or a group to visit a college) is a rare but much-appreciated treat. The fact is that I love English, but what keeps me here is the students. People who don’t work with teens think I’m crazy, but I love teenagers. They’re so much smarter, funnier, and sweeter than people give them credit for.

Also at the top of the list: the emails, visits, and Facebook messages I get from students who tell me how well-prepared they were for college English. Knowing that I’m doing something right keeps me going when it’s I’m stuck at home grading papers when I’d rather be out enjoying nice weather or something.

What (or who) inspired your career choice?

I had a great English teacher in high school who cared about us so much, and when I went through a rough patch, she was really there for me. I saw that students were more than just pupils to most teachers: they were humans with feelings that couldn’t be left at the door when it was time for class to start. She was a genuinely good person, and I wanted to emulate her. I may seem all-business in the classroom, but I probably notice more and worry more about my kids than they realize.

What is a pet peeve of yours?

When it comes to being an English teacher—even when I’m off campus—it irks me to hear people using “I” when the correct word is “me.” (“Let’s keep this between you and I” is NOT right!) It’s like people want to sound all correct and formal, and it just backfires.

In my personal life (and I’m going to get up on a soapbox here!), I can’t stand the way society sometimes treats single women. When I run into someone I haven’t seen in forever, the first question I get is, “So, are you married?” Having a family is certainly a long-term goal of mine, but women can be and do so much more than just wives and mothers.

Can you describe your life before RMA?

Much less busy… and not nearly as much fun.