UNC vs. Duke does not Disappoint

Last night, #20 Duke and #5 UNC squared off in the Battle of Tobacco Road, one of the most heated rivalries in all of sports. UNC looked to defend their home court versus the highly talented, but much younger line-up of the Blue Devils. Also, as if UNC needed any more motivation to beat their rival, Tar Heel great and NBA legend Michael Jordan was celebrating his 53rd birthday yesterday. With the stage set and emotions running high, the tip was underway.

The beginning of the game was back and forth, fast-paced, and high scoring. About halfway through the first half, Duke leader Matt Jones left game due to an apparent ankle injury, leaving the short-handed Blue Devils with a six man rotation, including 3 freshman. After Jones’ injury, the Tar Heels were able to jump to the lead, and consistently hold a 5 point lead the rest of the half, going into halftime with a 46-42 lead. The Tar heels were led by Wooden Award nominee Brice Johnson, who had 18 points and 11 rebounds… in the first half.

The second half started the same as the first, up and down the court with little defense being played. UNC was able to hold the lead almost the rest of the game until the last few minutes. After a big shot, Duke took the lead 72-71with just a few minutes remaining, but UNC quickly responded regaining the lead. But Duke Sophomore Grayson Allen made 2 free throws with a minute left to regain the lead, which would prove to be the winner. After a missed shot from Duke, UNC gathered the rebound with around 20 seconds left and looked to push the ball up the court and get a quick shot. Once they realized a shot was not given, many believed head coach Roy Williams would call a time out to calm his team down and draw up a play, but he decided to let the game flow, and trust his players to make the right play. With five seconds left, Tar Heel guard threw up a turn-around jumper that was blocked and recovered by Grayson Allen, ending the game. Despite another monster game from Brice Johnson (29 points, 19 rebounds), the Tar heels fell to their arch rivals, 74-73. Grayson Allen led Duke with 23 points, but with freshman and Kinston native Brandon Ingram, who finished with 20 points and 10 rebounds, Duke would not have been able to complete the comeback and upset UNC in the Dean Dome.

After falling into a slump, and out of the rankings for the first time in years, Duke seems to have hit a stride, and their standout freshmen Brandon Ingram and Luke Kennard seem to be gaining more confidence. It is safe to say, that a seemingly disappointing year for the Blue Devils is slowly turning around, and once again Duke is back in the talk for the National Championship. While UNC lost, the Tar Heels are still a top tier team, and are a force to be reckoned with come March.