Senior Spotlight: Samantha Sconyers

Thomas Moore, Business Manager

This week’s Senior Spotlight showcases an RMA “Lifer”, Samantha Sconyers. Sam, as everyone calls her, can be found either painting in Mrs. Patton’s room or on the tennis courts hitting with one of her team mates. Sam is a NHS member, Global Studies member, and an honor roll student. She was also a Marshall her junior year. One of Sam’s many passions is art, and she recently received honorable mention for a scholastic art competition. In her free time, Sam enjoys spending time with friends, surfing, and drawing. Sam has been a crucial player for the tennis team all of her high school career. Soccer has also been a part of her high school sports career as she played her 9th and 11th grade years, and her basketball days were short lived in that she played only her freshman year. Sam is a hard-worker and it shows in her grades and athletic accomplishments. She may go near or far from RMA while attending college, but she will always be welcome when she visits home. Here are some questions and answers from Sam so that you can get to know her.

Do you have any nicknames?

Most of the time, people just call me Sam.

What kind of music is on your Spotify?

You can really find anything on my Spotify, but Alternative and Classic Rock are my favorites.

Have you decided where you are going to college?

I have not! So far I have been accepted to Appalachian State University and North Carolina State University. I am still waiting to hear back from UNC- Chapel Hill and UNC-Wilmington. It’s going to be some tough decision making!

If you already know, what would you like to study in college?

I guess it just depends on the day you ask me. Right now I’m interested in Global Studies and Environmental Science, so we will see where that takes me.

What are your biggest pet peeves?

When someone says they can’t do something. Also, when people bite their ice cream.

What are some activities you enjoy outside of school?

I love surfing, snowboarding, traveling and yoga. I am actually planning on traveling to Indonesia for a surfing trip this summer!

What is your favorite TV show?

This is a tough one, but I did finish Dexter in under a month. House of Cards and Narcos are also really good ones.

What was your favorite class at RMA?

Mrs. Baker-Smith’s English class and Biology with Mrs. Lehnes.

What will you miss the most about RMA? The least?

I will miss how friendly and personable all of the faculty is. Hmm I won’t miss waking up at 6:30 every morning for school.

What is something you are proud of accomplishing at RMA?

RMA has helped shape me into the person I am today. RMA has also taught me how to step outside my comfort-zone and to influence others in a positive way.