Crazy Facts to Think About if You’re an RMA Senior

Olivia Turnage, Editor-in-chief

As half of the school year is already over, it becomes easy to want to skip straight to May. This feeling is especially prevalent for Seniors. “Senioritis” kicks in and all we can think about is walking across the stage, getting a diploma, and move in day. As a senior, of course I’m excited for the next step in my life, but that also means I’ll have to move on from RMA. As we may (or may not) be feeling a bit nostalgic, here is a list of 10 things to think about that will hopefully make you want to savor your time at RMA a little more.

You will never have another first day at RMA ever again: Instead of parking your car, walking through Proctor Hall, and going to homeroom with some of your friends that you’ve shared a first day with since kindergarten, your next first day will be move in day and then off to a big lecture hall with 300 other students you’ve never seen before.

You only have one RMA sponsored dance left: From middle school dances starting in 6th grade to Prom in April, the senior class has attended quite a few of these events held in the ever-faithful cafeteria. 6 years ago, probably nervous as could be, you experienced your first middle school dance with an iPod plugged into a speaker and awkward slowdancers everywhere. Freshman year homecoming came next, with high expectations. However, nothing compares to Prom that is held every April. This highly anticipated event draws every junior and senior back to RMA for a night filled with live music from a band and beautiful decorations. Can you believe you only have one of these left?

You only have one year left to play an organized team sport: While almost every college has sports on the Varsity, Club, and intermural level, it isn’t the same as playing for your high school Varsity team. You won’t ever hear the exasperated phrase, “please dismiss the (insert team) at (insert time), thank you.” again. Enjoy the rest of the winter sport season and seize every opportunity in the spring season.

You only have one field trip left with your class: From Williamsburg, VA in 5th grade to the Southern College tour in 10th grade, field trips are a major staple of every grade level. And of course, you save the best for last: New York. There isn’t a better way to top off RMA field trips than 5 days in America’s biggest city with you best friends. Make it the best one yet, because it’s the last.

After May, 27th you’ll have a visitors pass sticker on when you come to campus during school hours: It’s always fun seeing recent alumni on campus during fall and winter break, but can you believe that will be you in less than a year? Instead of parking in the upper lot and going through Proctor, you will park in the front of school and go through the main office to put on a visitors pass, because you’ll be a visitor and not a student for the first time ever.

You’ll only receive one more RMA yearbook: As I’m sure almost every student does, I have a stash of yearbooks dating back to 2002 in my room that I love to pull out occasionally and see how different everything is now. However, my stack, along with every other senior’s, will end at 2016.

You only have one more year to be a student in the student section: While you can always come back to a sporting event after you’ve graduated and sit with all the current students in the student section, it just won’t be the same. You won’t be watching your classmates play basketball anymore. Now it’s those kids that you swear are too young to be on a Varsity team playing. Lose your voice at the last few games this season, because it’s the last time you can watch someone that’s in your AP Stats group drain a 3 pointer.

We only have 128 days left until we graduate: As of January 19, 2016, we only have 128 days until we put on our cap and gown and bid farewell to the school we’ve grown up in. Make the most of everyday left, class of 2016.