Top 10 RMA Events of 2015

Julia High, Marketing Chair

As 2015 comes to a close, Media Office will take a look back at the top 10 moments at RMA this year.

10. Media Office’s installation of our own geofilter – This fall, Media Office was hard at work creating a Snapchat geofilter for RMA. Our filter was approved and installed soon after our submission and was a huge hit among the students. We proudly had the first geofilter in Rocky Mount! A special thanks to Anna Scott Wingfield for heading up the team!

9. Key Club ice cream sale – This October, Key Club held a school wide ice cream sale in the court yard to raise money for The Holly Project. The event was a tremendous success raising $1,348.

8. Veteran’s Day – Veteran’s day is always a special day at RMA, and this year was no different. A beautiful ceremony was held in the court yard honoring and hosting veterans. Having these special guest on campus is always a privilege.

7.  Microsoft Surface Pros – After a heart breaking goodbye said to our beloved Lenovo’s at the end of last school year, students in middle and high school were introduced to the Microsoft Surface Pros. After some getting used to, everyone now loves these new tablets.

6.  Basketball conference champs – In February, our Varsity boys’ basketball team won the conference tournament at Halifax Academy making them 2015 Conference Champs.

5.  Graduation – With one of RMA’s biggest classes graduating this past spring, graduation was especially memorable. Acknowledging every senior’s accomplishments since freshman year and a great speech by Valedictorian, Colby Kirkpatrick, graduation was the perfect farewell for the noteworthy class of 2015.

4.  China interactions – This year our relationship with the school in Beijing began. With several trips to China from RMA faculty members and trips to Rocky Mount from families from China, the RMA community has been experiencing something completely new to us. Our first student, Jack, is already at school and we anxiously await more students from China.

3.  Boosterthon – If you were on campus in September, it was hard to miss Bam Bam Brett and the rest of the Boosterthon crew. As a fundraiser, RMA hosted a color run for the middle and upper school and a fun run for the lower school. The event was a huge success with pep rallies and, of course, the runs that were exciting for everyone.

2.  Homecoming festivities- Homecoming week is always full of excitement with everyone dressed up for the different days, powderpuff, the pep rally, the dance, and, of course, the game. This year held no exception. RMA Eagle Nation was a hit allowing everyone to show off their school spirit.

1.  Prom – For the second year, the Junior class hired a band to play at prom instead of the usual DJ, due to the success of the band the year before. The Junior class chose Arabian Nights as the theme and transformed the cafeteria, with the generous help of the James family, into an incredible atmosphere. It was a memorable night that will definitely be hard for this year’s juniors to follow.