Veteran’s Day at RMA

Julia High, Marketing Chair

Sometimes we RMA students take it for granted how special our school really is. We forget that not everyone goes to a school where the students, faculty, and family members share a unique bond. We forget that not everyone gets the privilege of leaving their locker unlocked and their book bag sitting in the court yard. We forget how lucky we are to be a part of the RMA family and to be in the wonderful environment we live in every day. Events like the Veteran’s Day Ceremony make us remember.

This past Wednesday morning, all of the RMA family including: students, teachers, parents, administrators, and many special guests, reported to the court yard for the annual Veteran’s Day Ceremony. The veterans who joined us were all friends or family of someone at RMA, which is just another aspect that makes it so special. The event started off with the National Anthem, led by the high school chorus, and then the raising of the flag by a few fifth grade lower school students. The many veterans were recognized and everyone got the opportunity to hear a guest speaker who talked about the real challenges these heroes have gone through, including himself. It was incredible to try to imagine the sacrifices these people made and people are still making every day. Winners of the middle school essay contest, Chandler Lamm from the 6th grade, Chris May from the 7th grade, and Haley McCall from the 8th grade, then shared their essays about Veterans Day and its’ meaning to them. The Fifth graders sang a beautiful song titled “Brave” directly to the veterans, followed by a few other songs performed by the chorus. As chorus members were singing, the lower schoolers held up corresponding seals for each branch of the military.

A special thanks to Mrs. Braswell for all of her hard work in preparing the musical tributes, and everyone else who helped prepare for the reception held before the ceremony for the veterans in Avondale Hall. This highly emotional ceremony brought the whole RMA community together, connecting us all in a common love and respect for our country and those who risk their lives to make it the safe, free place it is today.