Senior Spotlight: Mackenzie Thompson

Senior Spotlight: Mackenzie Thompson

This week’s Senior Spotlight is the Homecoming Queen herself, Mackenzie Thompson. Mackenzie, who has attended RMA since 1st grade, is a face everyone at RMA knows and loves. Her success in and out of the classroom is just a glimpse at the kind of person she truly is.

Mackenzie is an exceptional student; having taken numerous AP and Honors classes throughout High School. She has won several awards and scholarships such as the Headmasters List, Honors Roll, and was a two-time recipient of the Turner W. Battle Scholarship; a scholarship given to students at RMA who exemplify outstanding leadership, college potential, and school spirit.

But do not think Mackenzie is limited to success in just the classroom, as she has been a key player on the Volleyball and Softball teams, and an avid 4-H member. She also is a selfless member of the community; participating in numerous activities outside of school, such as volunteering at church functions, preparing sandwiches for “My Sister’s House”, visiting local nursing homes, and raising money for Relay for Life. Check out the following interview to get a better understanding of how well-rounded Mackenzie Thompson really is!

What is your favorite show on Netflix?

Grey’s Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder

What are some activities you enjoy outside of school?

I am an active member of my church youth group. I also enjoy traveling and spending time with my family. During the summer I tutor elementary kids in math.

What will you miss the most about RMA? The least?

I think I will miss the tight relationship with the teachers because I know in college it will be completely different. The teachers at RMA’s main goal is for their students to succeed and excel in their classes. I will miss walking around campus and knowing every student/faculty member. The closeness of the student body, in and out of my own class, has had a major impact in my life.

What class have you enjoyed the most at RMA?

I don’t think there is one class that I have enjoyed more than another. Each and every class has its own perks.

Do you have any nicknames?

@freshhthompson

Have you decided what colleges you are applying to?

I plan to apply to North Carolina State University, Elon, University of South Carolina, and East Carolina University.

What are your biggest pet peeves?

My biggest pet peeve is a loud smacker.

If you could be the best at any one thing, what would it be?

I would love to be able to sing.

If you were stranded on an island with only your clothes and three other things, what would they be?

I would need an Eno, diet Coke, and a camera.