RMA Nominates Four Students for Prestigious Scholarships

Julia High, Marketing Chair

Last week, four of RMA’s best from the senior class were nominated for two of the most impressive scholarships in the nation. Davis Brown and Emma Grace Sprinkle are our nominees for the Morehead-Cain Scholarship to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Lindsey Ross and Lucy Rose are the nominees for the Park Scholarship at North Carolina State University.

The Morehead-Cain Scholarship is a very prestigious scholarship given to only 3% of the nominees each year. This was the first merit based scholarship in the United States. Students receiving the Morehead are provided with a full four-year Carolina experience including; tuition, books, room and board, a lap top, and four summer activities. RMA has a long legacy of Morehead nominees and has had several students to receive the scholarship. Emma Park, Tripp Andracchio, and Colby Kirkpatrick are the most recent RMA alumni Morehead scholars. This year’s Morehead nominees live up to the RMA legacy of impressive candidates. Emma Grace is a three sport athlete, National Honor Society member, student government president, and an asset to many other groups in and out of school. Davis Brown joined the RMA family in 9th grade with the Ann Weaver Scholarship. He is also a multi- sport athlete, AP scholar with honors, honor council chair, and the starter the lunch bunch program. Davis contributes too many organizations throughout our community and was a definite positive addition to the class of 2016.

The Park Scholarship is a four-year scholarship given to students who demonstrate outstanding accomplishments and potential in scholarship, leadership, service, and character. Around 35 students are chosen for the Park each year. These students receive four years of tuition, room and board, book and supplies, travel expenses, and grants to help with different service projects and experiments throughout the NC State experience. As always, RMA has chosen two great nominees this year, seniors Lindsey Ross and Lucy Rose. Lindsey excels in the classroom taking all AP or honors classes, she is a member of the National Honor Society, and a longtime member of the RMA varsity tennis team, taking her commitment even farther this year as a senior captain. Lindsey is an active member of her church youth group and is a benefit to the Rocky Mount community as a whole. Like the other nominee, Lucy Rose is an excellent student.  She takes all AP or honors courses, and has been in the National Honor Society since being inducted her 10th grade year. Lucy plays a huge role in both the lower school and the upper school by leading the STARs program, where upper classmen are assigned a lower school classroom to help out during the day. Lucy’s accomplishments do not limit to in-school activities, she also shines as captain the Varsity girls cheerleading team and engages in many service projects around school and in the community.

Without a doubt this is a fantastic group of students. It is a great honor to be nominated for such incredible scholarships. Congratulations Davis, Emma Grace, Linsey, and Lucy! RMA is very proud!