RMA comes out on Top Against FCS Friday Night

Olivia Turnage, Editor-in-Chief

Just two weeks ago, RMA traveled less than a mile to the campus of Faith Christian School to compete in Boys Soccer, Girls Tennis, and Girls Volleyball. Last Friday night, it was the Eagle’s turn to host our crosstown rival for the second conference match-up of the season. These games attracted the most fans yet this year and it surely did not disappoint as all of our fall athletes had great games and wins.

After a disappointing 1-1 tie two weeks ago, our Varsity Soccer team came out looking to claim the game they felt should have ended in their favor. Fired up, the Eagles took the field looking for their first conference win. Junior, Anderson Cobb, scored the game’s first goal as he broke away from defenders with his lightning fast speed. Greyson Reams scored twice in the first half off assists from fellow Senior, Brendan Acker. With momentum of a 3-0 lead in the first half, the Eagles were fired up to make the deficit even larger. Brendan Acker added to the lead with a goal of his own, blowing past defenders and the Patriot’s goalie. When the time ran out, RMA was victorious with a score of 4-0. While the Eagle’s explosive offense was the main attraction of the night, the Patriot’s scoreless game was all thanks to a strong RMA defense. Goalie and Senior, Hunter Franks, blocked several shots to keep the patriots scoreless all throughout the game. This game was the talk of the night; the Eagles had surpassed expectations and avenged their tie to the Patriots from two weeks earlier.

Fresh off their close match with Parrott Academy, the Varsity Girl’s Tennis team was hungry for a win. Junior and 1st seed, Julia High, demolished her opponent quickly with a 6-0 win in both sets. Neha Baliga won a tight match on court 6 in a tie breaker, leaving spectators on the edge of their seats, but sealed her win with a killer forehand. As usual, the girl’s dominated doubles matches. The infamous 1st seed doubles duo that is Sam Sconyers and Julia High, left opponents chasing the ball all and out of breath with a score of 8-1. The Eagles overall finished with a match score of 8-1 and improved to 2-0 in conference. There is clearly much more to come from these girls as they continue their quest from last year to be CIC conference champions.

Rounding out the night was Varsity Volleyball. The Eagles were working hard in the gym, but did not come out on top. The girls’ scores were 20-25, 17-25, and 19-25. They were able to keep the game close by awesome sets and powerful serves by Seniors Katie Gutshall and Mackenzie Lambert. “Both teams played really well but it all came down to who was stronger in different aspects” said star setter, Mackenzie Thompson, when asked to summarize the game. It’s clear that the ladies are improving as their games get closer and closer each time; we are all looking forward to seeing more from this team.

These three thrilling games exceeded expectations and set the tone for the rest of the year. The Eagles also asserted their dominance and proved that they will be a major force in conference this season.