Introducing the 2015-2016 Media Office

With the 2015-2016 school year, the Rocky Mount Academy Media Office begins its second year as a student-managed program to inform the RMA community of events taking place around our school. Just as last year, our staff will provide updates via social media, weekly articles on the Eagle Examiner, and a promotional video capturing RMA athletics. The goal of Media Office is to take advantage of the technology available to students and use it to connect the Rocky Mount Academy community in a totally different way.

As in the previous school year, Media Office will manage several social media accounts to promote different activities around school ranging from sporting events to fundraisers. Through our Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Photobucket accounts, we seek to capture everyday life as a Rocky Mount Academy student and broadcast it to our community. As a result, students will be well informed about happenings and activities around our school. Media Office will also continue to publish weekly articles on the Eagle Examiner. Each staff member of the Media Office will write news, sport, student life, and opinion pieces that will be published each Monday. The Eagle Examiner was a huge success last year having upwards of 2,000 views each week. This digital newspaper allows students, parents, and teachers alike to read about a topic as seen through the eyes of a student. Our annual promotional videos also gives the community a glimpse of RMA through the student body’s perspective. Last year’s promotional video captured the everyday life of a Rocky Mount Academy student and our core values as a school through academics, student life, and sports. However, this year the Media Office will produce a promotional video that zeros in on RMA athletics and how it has built stronger students and a stronger community through dedication, discipline, and teamwork. This year’s long project will feature all varsity sports and will be completely shot, edited, and produced by Media Office staff members. Just as last year, this video will be released at the conclusion of the school year and will be shown to prospective students and parents.

The 2015-2016 Media Office staff consists of nine upperclassmen; five juniors who joined the staff this year, and four seniors that have returned for their second year in the Media Office. Our photographer, Anna Scott Wingfield, will manage our Photobucket account and upload picture slideshows onto the Eagle Examiner following a big event. All of the Media Office social media accounts will be operated and updated by Davis Brown every day to ensure that the student body is informed of events happening around our school. Second year Treasurer, Brendan Acker, and Business Manager, Thomas Moore, will handle expenses and funds necessary to keep our website up and running. Marketing Chair, Julia High, and Secretary, Lindsey Ross, will be primarily promoting our website and promotional videos as well as making sure day to day activities run smoothly. Editing, publishing, and largely managing the newspaper will be the Co-editors, Emily Cheston and Caitlyn Vester. As Editor-in-Chief, Olivia Turnage will edit and publish Eagle Examiner articles as well as oversee all Media Office activities. Advised by Director of Admissions, Mrs. Gross, and Director of Development, Mrs. Bryant, the Media Office is looking forward to another year of linking the RMA community closer together through our program.

Get in touch with us! The Media Office staff meets daily during E block (12:40- 1:28) and can be reached at [email protected] for comments, article suggestions, or concerns. Follow us on Instagram (@rockymountacademy) and Twitter (@rmaeagles) for updates!