Class of 2015 Racking Up Scholarship Money

Over the past four years, the Class of 2015 has set numerous records at RMA, including surpassing the previous junior classes on Poinsettia sales, raising the most money at the Fall Festival’s haunted house, and organizing and putting on (arguably) the best prom to date. However, this year’s senior class has not stopped there, as they are on their way to receiving more scholarship money than any other class at RMA has ever been awarded. As of now, the group of seniors combined has been awarded $1,676,967.00, and this amount continues to increase weekly!

Specifically from this exceptional class, Colby Kirkpatrick was just recently awarded the Johnson Scholarship to Washington and Lee University. This prestigious award is worth up to $250,000, and covers full tuition and room and board. Winners of the Johnson are also awarded $7,000 to use towards summer experiences, volunteer opportunities, internships, and research projects while attending the university. Colby was also just informed that he has received the prestigious Morehead-Cain Scholarship to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. This full, four year scholarship is worth nearly $120,000 and includes unique summer abroad opportunities.

Vineet Baliga, another member of the Class of 2015, has recently been named a finalist for the AXA Achievement Scholarship. This scholarship recognizes students who exhibit high ambition, motivation, and determination in academics, extra-curricular activities, and community. One student from each state is selected to receive this prominent scholarship of $10,000 and RMA’s very own, Vineet, has made it to the final round. The 2015 winners are planned to be announced in the spring.

In addition to these students, Hayley Sigmon was just recently named the winner of the Thomas Wolfe Scholarship to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. This competitive four-year scholarship is given through the Creative Writing Program and the Department of English at the university and is offered to just one incoming freshman each year that displays exceptional literary ability.

In addition to these students, senior Anna Claire Thompson was awarded the Sims Scholarship to the University of South Carolina valued at $34,600, Christian Toney received the William Peace University Challenge Grant Scholarship worth $16,000, and Baileigh James received $32,000 from the school she will be calling home next year, Virginia Commonwealth University.  Additionally, Collin Richardson was recently granted a full, four-year scholarship to Wesleyan College, valued at $28,000 each year.

Applying for and going through the college scholarship process is no easy task, and as the school year comes to a close, the seniors are starting to rake in the final scholarship money. Be sure to congratulate the seniors mentioned above and many of the other RMA seniors on their scholarships, and let’s see if this class can break yet another RMA record and receive the most scholarship money from colleges!