Senior Spotlight: Amy Lerro

Amy Lerro is the face of this week’s Senior Spotlight, due to her high academic excellence, volunteer work, and unique travel experiences. Known for her shining personality and voted by her classmates as “Most Likely to Brighten Your Day,” Amy is a familiar face and a bright light around the RMA campus.

Amy is enrolled in and has completed a variety of AP and Honors courses throughout her high school years. She was inducted into National Honor Society her sophomore year, voted Treasurer of NHS her junior year, and then served as Graduation Marshal by ranking at the top of her class. Last year, Amy participated in the Catalyst Conference at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which brought together a select group of high school students in North Carolina to debate and research social issues affecting America’s youth. Adding to her busy schedule, Amy has participated in STARS tutoring at RMA for the past two years and served as Key Club Vice President her senior year. Her hard work and fresh ideas for fundraising in Key Club did not go unnoticed, as she was nominated the Kiwanis Club Student of the Week this past year. She was recognized for her achievements and contributions to Key Club at a luncheon at Benvenue Country Club.

In addition to academics, Amy is a dedicated member of her community. She has been a passionate member of the Rocky Mount Debu-ette Club since her freshman year and has completed over seventy community service hours through the club thus far. As a result, Amy has qualified as Senior Presentation Marshal for the upcoming Debu-ette Presentation in April. Amy has also spent her time volunteering at St. Therese Catholic Church, Relay for Life, Children Hunger Elimination of Wilson, and various events at Rocky Mount Academy.

One thing many people may not know about Amy is her unique travel experience. She has travelled extensively in two continents and hopes to study abroad in college. When asked where she would like to travel later in life, Amy responded, “Where ever the world takes me!”

Check out our personal interview with Amy below to learn even more about Amy:

1. What will you miss most about RMA after you graduate?

My peers and teachers who have taught me many valuable life lessons

1. What are some activities that you enjoy doing outside of school?

Soccer, community service, and spending time with friends and family

1. Where are you going to school next year?

Wake Forest University… Go Deacs!

1. Why did you choose the college you are going to?

I chose Wake because of the personalized feel I get from the campus. The moment I stepped foot on campus, I fell in love and knew it was the school for me!

1. If you already know, what would you like to study in college?

I’m currently undecided but leaning towards biology.