Ann Macpherson Weaver Scholarship

Ann Macpherson Weaver Scholarship

Davis Brown, Co-editor

The Ann Macpherson Weaver Scholarship is given annually to an eighth through eleventh grade student from outside of Rocky Mount Academy.  The “Weaver” Scholarship pays the full tuition cost for a high school student at RMA, as long as the student continues to meet the high expectations imposed by the scholarship.  Currently there are four holders of the Weaver scholarship, and a new Weaver will be named in the upcoming months.

The Weaver is given in the memory of Ann Macpherson Weaver, who was a former student at Rocky Mount Academy.   Ann was known by many for her courage, intelligence, and ability to light up others.  She was diagnosed with cancer while still in high school.  Nonetheless, she decided to persevere and graduate from high school and go on to college.  While in the hospital Ann’s personality shone through; she reminisced and joked with her friends even as she bravely fought her disease.  Ann Weaver was certainly a good student; however she was also a model member of the RMA and Rocky Mount community.  Receivers of the Ann Macpherson Weaver Scholarship are awarded with both a fantastic scholarship and the honor of following in Ann’s courageous footsteps.

Her legacy found in the hearts of her friends, family, and our community is only partially represented in the Weaver Scholarship.  As a recipient of the Weaver, I am certainly emboldened by this outstanding legacy.  I am expected to not only maintain good grades, but also to be a force in my community as Ann was in hers.  There have been many spectacular Weaver recipients.  Undoubtedly many of them were aided by RMA’s rigorous academics, hard work, and their family and friends.  However, perhaps the most important factor is the example and legacy Ann set and passed down through the Weaver Scholarship recipients; an example that still reverberates through our entire community.