RMA Winter Sports Review

RMA Winter Sports Review

As the winter sports season ends, here is a look back at how each varsity team fared this season.

Varsity Boys Basketball

The RMA Varsity boys’ basketball team had a spectacular season, finishing 10-0 in conference with a 17-7 overall record. After starting the season with a tough schedule against powerhouses Harrells Christian Academy and Arendell Parrot Academy, the boys were able to turn things around before heading into conference play. RMA was able to go undefeated in conference, including 3 wins over their cross-town rival Faith Christian. The Eagles went into the Conference tournament as the overall number one seed for 2A. After a blowout win over Kerr Vance at Home, the boys went to Halifax where the semifinals and finals would be held. After a battle against Faith Christian, RMA squared off against the Oakwood School for the championship, and won by a final score of 71-60. Coach Dunn was given “Coach of the Year” Honors, while Senior Zach Fulcher, Sophomore AJ Mitchell, and Freshman Elijah McCadden were given All-Conference and Junior Brendan Acker received All-Conference Honorable Mention.

Varsity Girls Basketball

After a tough season last year, the Varsity girls were determined to turn things around; and it is fair to say they did. After a 3-18 record last year, the Lady Eagles were able to post a 15-10 record this year, including a 7-3 record in conference. The girls were led by the senior duo Ann Claire Roberson and Catherine Coates, who led the team offensively and defensively. Junior Katie Gutshall and Sophomore Julia High were key players as they tormented the opposing team on defense and added to the scoring output. The girls ended their season on a tough loss to Crossroads Christian, but they were able to avenge their defeat in the first round of the conference tournament, beating Crossroads at Home. Unfortunately, the girls had the number one (Oakwood) and three (Halifax) teams in the state for 1A, so a conference title would be a tough feat. The girls lost to Oakwood in the semi-finals of the conference tournament, but played arguable their best all-around game and lost by a respectable score of 59-44. Senior Ann Claire Roberson was given All-Conference honors while Sophomore Julia High was given All-Conference Honorable Mention.

Varsity Swimming

The Varsity Swimmers had yet another successful season, with many making the State Swim Meet. In the State Meet, RMA competed very well with over 30 different schools and hundreds of swimmers. In the Girls 400 Freestyle Relay, they girls finished 14th in the state and in the 200 Freestyle Relay, the girls finished 8th. The Boys finished 16th in the 200 Freestyle Relay and 18th in the 400 Freestyle Relay. Along with these team stats, Senior Claire Stanovich finished 14th in the 50 yard Freestyle out of 92 swimmers. Seniors Spencer Bulluck and Claire Stanovich received All-Conference while seniors Ashley Bissette and Trevor Graham were given All-Conference Honorable Mention.