Senior Spotlight: Isaac Lewis

Mary Kimbrell Livermon, Photographer

This senior spotlight is on a member of the Class of 2023 who joined us in fourth grade and whom RMA will certainly miss next year. Isaac Lewis’s personality shines through while making his classmates laugh and smile in the senior room, or on an athletic field helping up a player from the other team. Isaac is always willing to help someone when they need it, and he is a great listener whenever you need to talk about life. I couldn’t agree more with the three words Isaac uses when asked to describe himself: funny, hardworking, and outgoing. His classmates can attest that wherever Isaac goes, laughter seems to follow. I can count on him to cheer me up when I have had a bad day, and I know other people turn to him as well. As for the hard-working and outgoing parts of Isaac’s personality, you will be able to see how those are integral parts of who Isaac is after you finish reading this article. I’d like to add another word to describe Isaac: helpful. He is always one of the first people to assist a teacher, classmate, or friend. Isaac is quick to hold the door for people or pick up their books if they had dropped them. His helpful nature also led him to receive the Junior Class Service Award at last year’s Academic Banquet. Isaac’s best friend and classmate, Colin Baker, states, “Isaac has been like a brother to me since we were 10. Being able to share almost all of my experiences with him is a blessing.”

You may have heard Isaac’s name being announced at a sporting event, but the teachers know him as a superstar in the classroom. He is currently enrolled in some of the hardest courses available at Rocky Mount Academy. This year, Isaac is enrolled in French 4, AP Calculus, AP Literature, AP Psychology, AP Biology, and he ends his school day with Weightlifting. His academic efforts have not gone unnoticed. He received the Turner Battle Scholarship and the honor of being a Graduation Marshall at last year’s graduation. Isaac is also an active member in numerous clubs, such as National Honor Society, the Bass Fishing Team, Ducks Unlimited, and Fellowship of Christain Athletes.

As you can tell, Isaac is very dedicated to academics, but he is also involved in athletics. During the fall, Isaac plays running back and linebacker for the football team, and in the winter, Isaac plays shooting guard or forward on the basketball team. His extensive effort and drive on the football team led him to receive All Conference and All State after the 2021 season and All Conference after the 2022 season. Not only does he excel in the athletic part of sports, he has also been praised by coaches from opposing teams for his exemplary sportsmanship. For this, RMA is especially proud. 

Aside from academics and athletics, Isaac has numerous hobbies outside of school. He enjoys playing golf, hunting, fishing, and hanging out with friends, and if you ever need to find Isaac on the weekends, there is about a 90% chance that he is in the woods hunting or on his bass fishing boat. Another hobby of his is that there are very few movies he has not seen, so if you need an opinion on what to watch, now you know who to call! 

Isaac has applied to North Carolina State University, East Carolina University, Virginia Tech, Duke University, Georgia Tech, and Oregon Tech with the intent to major in Engineering. He has already been accepted into East Carolina University and has applied to their Honors College. Isaac is such a great asset to RMA and because of that, we are sad to see him graduate. Although we are sad, we wish him the absolute best of luck in years to come!

Get to know Isaac:

What is your favorite movie?

The Other Guys

What is your favorite memory from RMA? 

When Colin ran into the fence and spilt his chin open while we were playing kickball

Who is your role model?

My dad

What is something nobody knows about you?

Justin Beiber’s Christmas album is my favorite Christmas album.

What 3 things would you bring to a deserted island?

A bow, tarp, and a lifestraw

What advice would you give to the freshmen?

Cherish every moment because high school flies by so fast.

What class would you take again and why?

I would take AP Environmental with Dr. Wells because it was the funniest class I have ever taken and Dr. Wells is never a buzzkill.

Describe your dream vacation.

A hunting trip to Alaska with my dad to hunt grizzly, moose, ir caribou.