RMA’s Christmas Activities

Carley Outlaw, Social Media Chair

Halls are decked, chestnuts have been roasted, and we’re all filled with cheer awaiting the arrival of the holiday season’s most anticipated events. Whether you’re most excited about a school event or one elsewhere, it is safe to say it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Starting out with the younger crowd, our Lower School students have been hard at work preparing for the annual Christmas concert. Nothing warms your heart quite like hearing the sweet songs from RMA’s many shining stars! The concert took place on Thursday, December 8 at the Dunn Center rather than at school. The Lower School would like to thank everyone who came out to support them as they showed off their musical talents with violins and choruses in The Nutcracker

Our lively Middle School students have exciting plans as well. Sixth and seventh graders have been spending their Flex time this week diligently making holiday cards for residents at a local retirement home, Spring Arbor. Spreading joy to others and helping out in the community is something that RMA is very passionate about, so it comes as no surprise Middle School is excitedly working on this project. Next week as we wind down and get ready to go home for the holidays, Middle School students will also be watching Christmas movies accompanied by yummy holiday treats on December 16th.

Similarly, Eagles of all ages look forward to the school sing-along that takes place on the last day of school before Christmas break. We get to hear songs from the Christmas concert mentioned above that some may have missed, which is always a treat. The teachers perform their music that causes many laughs to ring throughout the cafeteria, the seniors usually share their own version of “The 12 Days of Christmas,” and our beloved foreign language department performs songs in different languages. The sing-along marks the start of break and sends students and staff home with a full heart of Christmas cheer. 

The all-school fun does not stop there, however, as on the same day Lower and Middle School students watch movies, Upper School students have “Santa’s Workshop,” meaning they get to rotate through classrooms to find different activities such as present wrapping with Ms. Baker and Key Club, Just Dance with Mrs. Lehnes, and many more. Personally, a crowd favorite among my friend group is the traditional girl’s advisory potluck that Ms.O’Brien, Ms. Knox, Mrs. Meadows, and Ms. Covolo help host every year. The girls all bring in different foods and share many laughs together before the break. Since the last day of school promises to be so busy, the girls held their potluck this year on December 9.

Outside of school but involving many Upper School students, December means it’s time to put your dancing shoes on! This past Saturday, grades 9-12 attended the Junior Sorority dance with other schools and had a blast singing and dancing together. Coming up is another long-awaited dance, the Holly Ball, that includes juniors, seniors, and even college freshmen who have returned to town for the break. Seeing familiar faces and getting the chance to reconnect with others with the fabulous band Liquid Pleasure is sure not to disappoint. 

No matter when, how, or what you celebrate, the Media Office staff wishes you the merriest of holidays and the happiest of New Year!