Senior Spotlight: Mackenzie Davis

Mari Robin Tharin, Secretary

This week, our Senior Spotlights stars a key member of the class of 2023: Mackenzie Davis. She describes herself as outgoing, hard-working, and funny, and I can think of so many more amazing qualities in Mackenzie that I cannot leave out. She is easily one of the most athletic, kind, and encouraging people that I have ever met, and her uplifting nature is one of the first things you will notice about her. These qualities in Mackenzie were evident when she first joined RMA ten years ago in the third grade and are appreciated even more today. Her teammate and close friend Ella Gray Corey says, “Kenny, or Mackenzie to some, was the very first person I met when coming into RMA, and from that day, she has been one of my best friends. Her ability to turn something serious into a total joke and make everyone laugh is something that I love very much about her. Playing volleyball alongside Mackenzie for 7 years has been one of the greatest parts of my years at RMA. Although our setter/middle duo can never be replaced, I cannot wait to watch her succeed at the next level! Saying I will miss Kenny would be an understatement, but I am so excited to see what her future holds. I cannot wait to cheer her on doing what she loves. I am beyond grateful to be able to call her my teammate and best friend.”

One of the words Mackenzie uses to describe herself is hard-working, and she has proved this to be very true throughout her time here at RMA, as she has made the A Honor Roll for 9th, 10th, and 11th grades. She has also been recognized for the Highest Average in Geometry and Algebra 2 as well as Academic Excellence in French 1, French 2, and Modern European History. This year, Mackenzie continues to shine in the classroom in AP Psychology, Honors Calculus, and Honors English 12 in addition to her electives, Sports Management and Ceramics.  Not only has she been awarded for her work in academics, but also for her creative abilities with Excellence in Ceramics and the Emerging Artist Award. Her dedication to academics and her strong leadership skills earned her a Hugh O’Brien Leadership Award. I think it is safe to say that Mackenzie is very talented and hard-working in many different areas around school.

Another class in Mackenzie’s busy schedule is her internship in the Exceptional Children’s class, which is a testament to her kindness. The children absolutely love Mackenzie, and I know that she is such a gift to them. When asked what she would miss most about RMA next year, Mackenzie stated that she would miss her kids in the Exceptional Class the most. She is the leader of the Stronger Together club, which is a chance for the exceptional students to spend time with members of the club by participating in activities that she plans and organizes. Mackenzie started the year off by playing games with the EC students so they could start bonding and then had a scavenger hunt around school looking for things like eagles (our mascot). This week, the club carved pumpkins in honor of Halloween. In the spring, the Stronger Together club hopes to host a field day for the EC students. Despite all the time Mackenzie spends on her internship and Stronger Together, she is also an active member of FCA and Key Club.

If you’ve ever attended an RMA girls’ sporting event, chances are you have seen Mackenzie in action because she is nearly impossible to miss on any court or field. She picks up any sport easily and is just an incredible natural athlete. She plays volleyball, basketball, and soccer, but most of her time is dedicated to volleyball. In addition to playing for RMA’s team, she has played travel volleyball since 6th grade. Mackenzie has made the national team each year, playing at the highest level of volleyball in the East. She practices twice a week and plays in tournaments on the weekends; her team has traveled to Georgia, Florida, and Virginia to play teams from all over the country. I have been on teams with Mackenzie, and what allows her to shine the most in her sports is the way she treats her teammates. Mackenzie is the star of every team, but she fulfills that role humbly and with strong leadership. She encourages and cheers on everyone on her team, no matter their athletic ability, and she makes everyone feel involved and supported. Mackenzie is one of the best athletes I know, but more importantly she is one of the best teammates I’ve ever had. 

As you can see, Mackenzie is an incredibly talented girl in so many different ways, and I am confident that her talent–along with her kindness and leadership–will lead her to success. As for future plans, Mackenzie would like to play volleyball at either Meredith College or Cape Fear Community College, and she is also applying to ECU and Liberty. She is sure to excel in both her athletic and academic career no matter where she ends up, and I know that she will be greatly missed in RMA’s hallways, courts, and fields! 

Get to know Mackenzie:

1. What is your favorite movie? A Fall of Grace 
  2. Describe your dream vacation. The Bahamas to be at the pool 
  3. Who is your role model? Coach Tickel 
  4. What is something nobody knows about you? I do not have a mailbox at my house, I have a PO Box only
  5. If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring? Music, tanning oil (Maui Babe), Cheerwine
  6. What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman? Go to all school events and participate in school spirit, you only get to do it once!
  7. What class would you take again, and why? Ceramics, I love making little things to decorate my room with/my friends’ college dorms. 
  8. What do you like to do in your free time? Watch basketball or volleyball on Hulu, play golf and tennis with my family