Senior Spotlight: Will Tharin

Mary Kimbrell Livermon, Photographer

This senior spotlight is on a member of the Class of 2023 who is surely hard to miss. His tall stature may be intimidating, but he is genuinely one of the nicest people I know. I look up to him (no pun intended), and he sets a great example for students in grades below. His gentlemanly manner is displayed throughout campus by holding doors for other people, lifting heavy things for teachers, and doing anything he can to help others around him. I have three words that come to my mind when thinking about Will Tharin: determined, uplifting, and sincere. His classmate Darshan Patel also agrees stating, “Willy T. is a genuinely awesome friend. He’s incredibly kind, reliable, and humble. He’s so humble, in fact, that you’d never be able to guess that he’s a PGA-bound mutant specimen designed in Tiger Woods’ basement.” On a more serious note, Darshan says, “Possessing exemplary academics, athleticism, and elegance, Will is really a true all-in-one package.”

Will is also enrolled in rigorous classes during his senior year of high school. He is taking AP Psychology, AP Literature, AP Biology, and Honors Calculus, along with other classes such as Ceramics and Sports Management. His academic efforts have not gone unrecognized. Will is a member of the National Honor Society and received the honor of being a graduation marshal at last year’s ceremony. In addition to those honors, he also received the Turner Battle Scholarship this year. Will’s involvement at school isn’t just about his academic success because he is involved in various clubs as well, including the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Club and the Ducks Unlimited Club. 

Will is an avid member of Boy Scouts and just recently earned the highest honor of Eagle Scout. His flower beds and purchase of picnic tables and umbrellas were a blessing for a nursing home in Tarboro. In addition to Boy Scouts, Will enjoys playing soccer and basketball for RMA, while also enjoying hunting, fishing, and spending time at the beach with his family and friends. On most summer nights, you can find Will practicing golf on his golf simulator or hanging in the hot tub with some friends. 

If you know Will, you probably know what I am going to discuss next because I’ve only briefly mentioned this important part of who Will is: golf. Will has spent countless hours practicing and working hard to be the best golfer he can be. I truly admire the determination Will has. He sets a great example for his teammates, as he shows them drive and dedication, and his efforts have definitely not gone unnoticed. Will has received the Golf MVP/Conference Player of the Year Award three times and the All-State Honor three times, as well. When asked to describe three words about himself he stated, “The Big Kat,” which was a nickname given to him by his golf coach, Randy Davis. He leads the team with grace and will continue pursuing his love of golf as he is committed to play at Davidson University.  

We cannot wait to see what life has in store for Will, but we know it’s going to be great! Hopefully one day, we will watch him on the PGA Tour! We will miss Will dearly, and we wish him the best of luck!

Get to Know Will:

What is your favorite movie? 

Borat

Describe your dream vacation. 

I would be on an island spearfishing, chilling with my family, and catching a few waves.

Who is your role model?

My parents

What is something nobody knows about you? 

I love asparagus.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring? 

A tent, a knife, and Dwyane Johnson

What will you miss about RMA? 

Ms. Keel

What is your funniest story at RMA? 

The first day of 7th grade, we were playing basketball in the courtyard, and I ripped the back of my khaki shorts wide open.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman? 

Highschool flies by, enjoy it!

What class would you take again?

AP Environmental Science with Dr. Wells