Field Trips are Back!

Carley Outlaw, Social Media Chair

Oh, how we have missed field trips here at RMA! Thankfully, three years and one global pandemic later, field trips are back in full swing. 

The sixth-grade class kicked off field trips for the 2022-2023 year with two days of fun in Wilmington, NC, where they kayaked, fished, and dove deep into learning about the ocean and our beaches. As Mrs. Langley, Dean of Sixth Grade said, “From kayaking to dissecting squid, our days were filled with lots of hands-on experiences.”

While this was the beginning, it’s certainly not the end of class trips planned for this school year. Can’t wait to see where you’re headed? Read down below:

The ninth graders will bond on a trip to Xtreeme Adventure in Monroe, NC, which has a challenging ropes course that will let them develop teamwork. They will also tour High Point University and NC State to kick off their college search. Many freshmen who tour High Point end up attending after they graduate because it is so easy to fall in love with the beautiful campus!

The sophomores and juniors are going on the Southern College Tour–their first with Director of College Counseling Mrs. Emily Ballance–at the end of February. The itinerary hasn’t been set yet, but past colleges have included the College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina, the University of South Carolina, the University of Georgia, and the University of Florida. The idea is to show students both small private schools and large public universities so that they can get an idea of which environment they prefer. At the end of the tour, students will tire themselves out at Universal Studios before an overnight bus ride home. 

While the juniors and sophomores head south, the seniors will take their last class trip at RMA in New York City! Many fun activities are planned, starting with a Knicks-Celtics game at Madison Square Garden, their first night in the city. Other activities include two Broadway Shows (Wicked and the British hit &Juliet) and visits to the 9/11 Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the NBC Today Show where students try to appear on live TV!  Students will stay in a hotel in the heart of Times Square and enjoy a fabulous dinner at Carmine’s.