The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Spotlight: Ben Taylor

RMA senior Ben Taylor is a long-time member of the RMA family, having come here in Kindergarten. Anyone who knows him knows he is “reserved and intellectual,” as he describes himself. Ben is also known for his sarcastic sense of humor, even saying that if he could be any teacher for a day, he would be “Mr. Stone because [he has] the same sarcasm.”  

Ben thrives in a classroom environment and has received awards for doing so as an A Honor Roll Student in grades 9 through 11. He credits RMA’s teachers and resources for helping him succeed and says that when he goes to college, he will “miss the ability to get help from teachers so easily.” Great teachers aren’t the only key to Ben’s success: he has learned “that you should use your free time wisely and not procrastinate assignments that may be due.” This year, Ben is sharpening his mind further by taking a variety of challenging classes: AP Calculus, English Honors 12, AP Environmental Science, and AP Psychology. Rounding out his schedule are Sports Medicine and his time spent as an intern in the Technology Department.

Outside of the classroom, Ben can often be found on the RMA soccer field, practicing or playing on left or right midfield for the school’s varsity soccer team. Ben has played since 7th grade, participating on the JV team in Middle School and the Varsity team starting in 9th grade. He is also a member of RMA’s newly founded E-Sports team, which is composed of students grades 8-12 and competes against other schools in online games year-round. Outside of school, Ben spends his time playing video games and working as a cook at Jersey John’s Deli (formerly Pitstop Shoppe) located in the Westridge shopping center. Given how busy he is with school and work, he deserves a little down time and says he enjoys a good nap and says that one of his greatest talents is his “ability to fall asleep anywhere and still remember everything going on around [him].” 

Ben is looking forward to having independence in college as he studies computer science at ECU, UNC-Charlotte, or NCSU. Once he has his bachelor’s degree, he hopes to earn his master’s in software engineering. With this educational background, Ben aims to “develop and create concepts that help others [have easier] access [to technology],” as well as to “correct or improve” daily computer issues. He’s already been accepted into ECU and UNCC, and with his technological knowledge and wisdom, we won’t be surprised if 15 years from now, we hear the name Ben Taylor instead of Elon Musk.

Get to know Ben!

What is your favorite movie or go to song?

“The Lazy Song” – Bruno Mars

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

I would love to live in Japan.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

A friend, an axe, and a survival kit

What is your favorite school event?

Spirit Week is by far my favorite because people get really creative with the ideas that they bring, especially pajama and anything-but-a-backpack day.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman or your younger self about high school?

Do not procrastinate assignments

Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

Hopefully in a good job that I enjoy doing