Annual Fall Festival a Success

Lindsey Ross, Photographer

In the weeks leading up to October 24th, members of the faculty, volunteers, and students worked tirelessly to provide a variety of delicious foods and create attractions to capture the attention of RMA students of all ages. This year, students were able to take a ride in a fire truck, climb a rock wall, visit a traveling petting zoo, sing songs on a karaoke machine, and much more.

Out of all these activities, an all-time favorite is the annual Haunted House. Each year, seniors transform the B hallway into a horror scene to raise money for the annual senior trip to New York City. This year, seniors split into groups and designed costumes and scenery inspired by a certain spooky setting such as an asylum or torture chamber. Decorations of the Haunted House included many strobe lights, cages, and “blood”-spattered tablecloths. Participants walked hesitantly down the hallway, cowering from various characters such as screaming zombies, menacing clowns, and screeching ghosts. The Haunted House is a guaranteed way for thrill-seekers to test their strength.

For those who are not as brave, there a plenty of friendly activities at the Fall Festival. This year, the Key Club created a Pie In the Face Booth that was a huge hit. Participants paid a small fee to throw pies at either Dr.K, Mr. Stancavish, Mr. Huffman, Alexis Reams, Rob Turnage, Mark Allen, or any other volunteers. Along with the Pie in the Face booth, many lower school teachers and other adult volunteers created several attractions such as the popular Cake Walk, a photobooth, Fish Pong, and Feed the Pumpkin. Although these games were created specifically for the enjoyment of the lower school, people of all ages enjoy them with their children.

Outside of Avondale Hall, there were many unusual attractions for students and parents to enjoy. One of the most unique events of Fall Festival and a favorite of the adults is Cow Chip Bingo. In this game, participants must purchase a small plot in a cattle enclosure. Once the cow is released at the beginning of the Festival, players wait eagerly and hope his or her spot is the lucky one. Despite the encouragement of the crowd, the cow failed to “go.” At the end of the festival, the cow’s right hoof was in the square of the winner, kindergarten teacher Mrs. Dill. The cow was not the only animal present at the festival, there were also hedgehogs, a kangaroo, alpacas, miniature ponies, and a goat. Everyone was amazed by this wide assortment of animals that were available to pet or ride. Eighth grader Haven Ross said, “I loved getting to hold a baby hedgehog. Who knew I would ever do this at RMA. Go eagles!”

RMA’s Annual Fall Festival never disappoints and is a great way for families to have a fun night out. Thanks to all of the faculty members, parents, and other volunteers who made the night a success!