Faculty Focus: Mrs. Erin Miniard

Mari Robin Tharin, Secretary

This week’s Faculty Focus spotlights a very popular teacher and alum at Rocky Mount Academy: Mrs. Erin Miniard! As she is RMA’s Lower and Middle School Art teacher, she is known for her creativity and bright smile. Mrs. Miniard was born and raised right here in Rocky Mount and even graduated from Rocky Mount Academy, making her a very familiar face to many. She graduated from High Point University with an Interior Design degree and then went on to obtain her art teaching license at Barton College. Mrs. Miniard immediately began a job at Rose Furniture in High Point, NC following college and then went on to begin teaching preschoolers. When asked why she wanted to be a teacher Mrs. Miniard stated, “I love being with kids and watching them grow! Growing up at RMA, Mrs. Patton was my favorite teacher, whom I always wanted to be like. Academics was a struggle for me, but art was something I was successful with and enjoyed. Following Mrs. Patton’s footsteps, I knew what I wanted to do one day. Teaching art to the lower/middle school students is very rewarding and the best.” It is no secret that Mrs. Miniard is both a talented and wonderful teacher and that all of her students thoroughly enjoy their time in her classroom!

It is evident to all who know her that Mrs. Miniard is incredibly artistic and has many talents. Her favorite hobby is painting. She loves to spend her down time with her music and a paintbrush! She is also very interested in interior decorating as she loves interacting with others as well as home decor. Another hobby and love of hers growing up was basketball. She grew up playing at the YMCA, usually as the only female on the team, with her dad as her coach. As she got older, she continued to play through AAU in Raleigh as well as here at school with Coach Billy Colbert. She noted that she tried swimming at the YMCA in the summers, but her sister, Mrs. Hadley Gross, was always better at that! When asked what she loves most about being at RMA, Mrs. Miniard enthusiastically answered with the RMA faculty, staff, and kids because they are like one big community and everyone is so welcoming and loving. She loves working with younger students because, as a teacher, it is awesome for her to see them grow in confidence and in their identity. As she is an artist, Mrs. Miniard can not think of anything better than teaching what she loves most! Rocky Mount Academy and the Art Department are so lucky to learn from Mrs. Miniard’s talent and are so lucky to see her smiling face in the halls each morning! Read below to learn more about her!

Get to know Mrs. Miniard:

If you had to pick one moment in your life that defined you, what would it be?

The day I became a mom twice. It is something I will never forget.

What is something nobody knows about you?

I used to compete in figure/fitness competitions and I love to make lists for everything, there are lists for lists!

What is your favorite TV show and why?

Dude Perfect, I know it is crazy, right?! My children have got me very hooked on this show. It is a great show to watch as a family and has me laughing so hard!

What are your biggest pet peeves?

When someone tries to talk to you when you’re on the phone, ugh!

Describe your dream vacation.

Dream vacation would be a trip to Alaska! There is so much beauty in the nature and animals. 

Any cool art projects in your classroom that you would like to tell about?

The lower school students are working on an exciting project for the Spring Arts Show, so I can not reveal too much, however, I can say that there is some 3D art and LOTS of color, stay tuned!