STEAM is Back!

STEAM is Back!

Mari Robin Tharin, Secretary

STEAM is back! After a three year break, one of RMA’s most popular special classes has returned and is being taught by Mrs. Ashley Barry! STEAM, standing for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics, is a fun way for students to learn, build leadership and team building skills, and get creative, all through hands-on activities. All students thoroughly enjoy STEAM and look forward to it each week! Fourth grader Cate Powers commented, “STEAM is my favorite class! I love Mrs. Barry and it is so much fun! My favorite project so far has been dot art.” Mrs. Barry’s 7th graders are also bringing back an old favorite brought to RMA by our beloved Dr. K- the egg drop! It will take place on the side of the gym just as it did years ago with Dr. K! Mrs. Barry has taught a variety of classes at RMA, but she shines most brightly in the STEAM lab with her authentic ideas and energy that she brings to all Lower School students!

Read below to learn about Mrs. Barry and her exciting plans for STEAM this year!

1. What are you most looking forward to in STEAM this year?- I am most looking forward to getting to work with all the children in Pre k through 5th grade in STEAM.  Plus I have a 7th grade STEAM class everyday which is keeping me on my toes.   But the MOST SPECIAL thing is that I am in DR K’s old classroom- this is pretty special to me! 
  2. What will be different or the same from STEAM a few years ago?– Some of the activities are the same- BUT I have a few new tricks up my sleeve this year.  
  3. Is this a big adjustment from teaching 1st grade?– It is a big adjustment, but I feel so at home in the STEAM LAB….  And if you know Mrs. Barry and her history here at RMA- I like to switch it up- I’ve literally done it all here (even taught lower school Spanish for a semester) – BUT STEAM is my favorite! 
  4. Any cool projects your class has already done?– My 7th graders are testing different SLIME recipes this week- SLIME is always fun and MESSY! 
  5. What is your favorite part about STEAM?– My favorite part of STEAM is the many different activities we can do that ALL fall under the STEAM umbrella.  It leaves me wide open to have the most fun! 
  6. Coolest thing in your classroom?– The basketball goal that never gets used. 
  7. Favorite memory from STEAM?– There are too many to talk about but I think the most fun is going to be had THIS YEAR! I do love that any one who has had Mrs. Barry seems to have a favorite STEAM lab memory- but MINE would probably be Making ice cream in a ziplock bag is always a FAN Favorite!