Faculty Focus: Lydia Bardin

Faculty Focus: Lydia Bardin

Hunter Nealey, Secretary

This week’s faculty focus is on the one and only Lydia Bardin. Even if you’ve never had a class with Mrs. Bardin, you are sure to have seen her around campus helping out with RMA’s music department. In fact, Mrs. Bardin has been teaching piano from her private studio and RMA for over 17 years! 

With an undergraduate degree in Piano Performance from Converse College and a Master’s in Piano Performance and Pedagogy from Arizona State University, Mrs. Bardin is one of the most skilled piano teachers that RMA, and even the state of North Carolina, has to offer. After graduating, Mrs. Bardin went on to serve as the head of the Piano Department at the University of Science and Arts in Oklahoma. While simultaneously teaching and finishing her Doctoral coursework at the University of Iowa, Mrs. Bardin was offered a job as a Visiting Artist in NC and decided to pursue a career playing concerts across the state and, as she puts it, “contributing to a greater understanding of the arts.” During this time, she performed as a part of the Southern Touring Program along with three principle string players from the NC Symphony. 

It wasn’t until after her four years as a Visiting Artist that she began to take interest in teaching. She took in-depth courses about how the brain works and the way students learn. Mrs. Bardin was subsequently hired as a National Facilitator for the Q.E.D. Foundation, a non-profit organization that focuses on education. 

Read on to learn more about Lydia Bardin!

• What are some of your favorite hobbies? My hobbies include kayaking and gardening.
  • What is something that no one knows about you? While at the University of Iowa, I raced sailboats as a member of the sailing team.
  • Why did you pursue a career in teaching? I pursued a career in teaching piano because I am passionate about music and wanted to share with others the joy that music brings to me.
  • What is your favorite part about being at RMA? My favorite part of being at RMA is being a part of the RMA family and having the opportunity to get to know my colleagues and every student that I have the good fortune to teach. Being able to share the joy of music with students in such a supportive, caring environment is a blessing!
  • What has had the most impact on your life? The biggest impacts on my life have been from my faith, my family, my friends, and my students.
  • What is the best part about being a pianist? There is a lifetime of music to play and enjoy!

If you have ever wanted to learn the piano, or maybe sharpen your skills, Mrs. Bardin is sure to greet you with a friendly and eager smile! When asked about her favorite piano teacher, former student Vivian Rogers said, “She was a great mentor to me and always had the best solutions for whatever piece I was struggling with. She not only taught me how to play the piano, but also a few lessons about life!”