NCSMA J-Day 2020

Lindsay Boyette, Photographer

Last Thursday, October 15th, the RMA Media Office had the opportunity to participate in the NCSMA Journalism Day regional fall workshop. NCSMA, also known as the North Carolina Scholastic Media Association, is a statewide organization that promotes excellence in scholastic journalism and encourages respect for freedom of the press. The fall workshop was co-hosted by Elon University, Queens University, North Carolina A&T State University, UNC-Chapel Hill, NC Central University, East Carolina University, The Charlotte Observer, and The News & Observer. Usually, RMA attends the NCSMA workshop at the Hussman School of Journalism and Media at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, but this year the Media Office attended virtually. Despite the online component, the workshop exceeded all participants’ expectations.

To start off the morning, students attended webinars titled “Reporting in the Age of COVID-19” and “Covering the Election.” Next, students joined breakout sessions that were divided in seven divisions: Broadcast/Podcasting, Literary Magazine, Yearbook, News/Online, Art/Photography/Design, Editorial Leadership/Issues Forum, and Advising Student Media. During these breakout sessions, students virtually interacted with journalism professors and did intensive training on all the topics above. Media Office Secretary Mary Hanna Bryant commented, “The leaders of this program taught me how to write about the changes we are facing in society and how to go about writing about these from a different perspective.” To end the day, attendees participated in a closing webinar that offered virtual campus tours of the co-hosting universities. 

Media Office members partook in the workshop to gain more experience in journalism, which in turn will enhance the quality of writing for the Eagle Examiner. Thank you to Mrs. Bryant and Mrs. Gross for making Journalism Day a success!