Alumni Update: Dillon Crawford

Jack Pittman, Copy Editor

This week’s Alumni is on Dillon Crawford. Dillon was born and raised in Rocky Mount and  graduated from RMA in 2013. Dillon attended the University of Virginia and majored in economics. Dillon spends much of his free time playing guitar or writing music, either for his band or just for leisure. He also greatly enjoys watching UVA sports, especially basketball and football. Dillon began playing guitar in the 4th grade and has been playing ever since. This began a passion in music for DIllon who began singing and songwriting  as well. He has participated in multiple musicals and performed in the band for the “Wedding Singer” musical. He participated in chorus and played guitar at many school sponsored events. Dillon is now an essential piece of Pluto Gang, a jam soul band based out of Charlotte, with fellow RMA alumni Brennan Beck.

Read below to learn more about Dillon!

1. Have you had any experiences abroad? 

Not really – I have briefly visited Italy and Spain but haven’t had any super interesting/life changing experiences abroad.

1.  If you had to select one moment in your life that defines you so far, what would it be? 

I am not sure if this necessarily counts as a defining moment in my life… but maybe it was more of a change of direction: In 10th grade, I tore my acl in a pre season football scrimmage. To that point In my life I had spent most of my free time playing sports, but when that happened I had basically a year where I couldn’t play sports anymore. That is when I started to branch out and try new things –  I joined the school chorus, I did a few plays/musicals, and I started really focusing on guitar/playing music. That year is really when I rediscovered my love for playing guitar/music which obviously is still a huge part of my life. 

1. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

Beating Brennan in ping pong

1. What is something not many people know about you? 

I cannot beat Brennan in ping pong

1. If you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 objects would you bring?

(1) My Taylor GS Mini Acoustic Guitar,  (2) extra pair of glasses , and (3) fishing pole.

1. What is your favorite TV show and why? 

Probably “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”. It’s just hilarious. 

1. What was your favorite part of being at RMA? 

Really just all of the people. I had a great group of friends and classmates throughout my time – as well as some awesome teachers and coaches. 

1. What are the biggest influences of your music? 

Led Zeppelin was the band that got me into music/into playing music. Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan were probably my biggest musical + guitar influences from about middle school through high school. But now improvisational groups like Phish and the Grateful Dead Are my biggest influences. I would say that all of those heavily influence my guitar playing and songwriting.

1. What’s your greatest accomplishment in music so far? 

Probably writing, performing on, and releasing two singles on Spotify in the last year that have totalled nearly 200k listens to date. I never expected any of my music to reach that size of an audience.

1. Who are the members of Pluto Gang? 

Brennan Beck (lead vocals), Dillon Crawford (lead guitar and backup vocals), Wood Britton (lead guitar), Joe May (keyboard and backup vocals), Pat Rodgers (bass), Wilson Smith (drums)