Summer Camp Interview: HOBY

Summer Camp Interview: HOBY

Jack Pittman, Copy Editor

This summer, Media Office’s very own Mary Hanna Bryant took part in the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Camp. HOBY (Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership) camp is an organization that is focused on developing leadership qualities and empowers youth to achieve their highest potential. 

Below is my interview with Mary Hanna!

• Did you have any special guests at your camp?

Carla Hall from the TV show “The Chew” spoke at the camp along with Rainn Wilson from the TV show “The Office.” Carla Hall provided a lesson about doing what makes you happy and finding what you’re good at and running with it. She demonstrated this by making soup and adding whatever she liked and what made her feel good.

• What was your favorite part of the camp?

My favorite part of the camp was meeting new people from other schools near me. Another part of the camp that I enjoyed was making a plan to take action and help in my community. It was interesting to listen to other student’s viewpoints from different towns to see what problems their community faced and how they planned to help.

• What was your least favorite part of the camp?

My least favorite part of the camp was when everyone was on the home screen together for different periods of the day because it was hard to listen to everyone at once. A major downside of attending HOBY online was that I wasn’t able to form the same types of relationships over a computer as I would have been able to in person. However, some of us have continued to stay in touch.

• How were the original plans for the camp changed due to COVID-19?

The original plan for the HOBY Leadership Camp was to attend for the weekend at NC State. There were going to be speakers and activities such as skits that we would perform. However, due to COVID-19, the camp was virtual.

• What has this camp taught you that you think will better prepare you for the school year and life?

The camp taught me many characteristics of how to be a better leader and how to better myself in all future endeavors. I think the leadership skills I learned will help me in group projects at school, in college, and in my future job(s).

• Would you recommend this camp to younger kids? If so, what advice would you give for the application?

I would definitely recommend this camp to younger kids because it inspired me to take part in my community and to take action within different groups of people. For the application, I would say that having many hours of community service and being involved with your school is helpful.