Senior Spotlight: Deborah Kitchin

Eliza Myers, Photographer

Deborah Kitchin is one of a kind. You may be able to come close, but you will never find someone who is as good a friend, as caring a sister, or as honest a person as Deborah is. People like Deborah are invaluable people to know and even more precious to call friends because they will always have your back, will help anyway they can, and, perhaps most importantly, will never lie when you need to hear the truth. She is someone who is not afraid to speak her mind, even when she is surrounded by those of a different opinion. She can be sure to stand up for what she believes in at all times. She is the type of friend who will tell you when you have something in your teeth and who will answer honestly when asked “Does this make me look fat?” because she understands that honesty is most often easier to accept when it comes from a friend. My point is: find yourself a Deborah (there is only the one but at least try). One of her best friends, Foster McAdams, agreed when he said, “I absolutely love Deborah. She’s my dawg, Debdawg.” Caleb Chesis, another very close friend of Deborah’s, echoed my point as well by saying “Deborah is a close friend of mine and she genuinely cares about her friends and wants the best for them and is always willing to lend a helping hand if anyone needs it.”

Since arriving in eighth grade, Deborah has been a gift to the RMA class and her grade by being true to herself and growing into an incredible person. There are many ways in which Deborah contributes to RMA, some of the most significant being her athletic achievements and ability. Deborah has been a three-sport athlete for five years, playing volleyball, basketball, and soccer and excelling at all three. A captain on both the varsity volleyball and basketball teams, she has received multiple awards spanning across all three sports, most notably in basketball where she won All Conference in 10th and 11th and MVP in 11th.

Deborah, along with being a high achieving athlete, is also an extremely determined student. She has taken AP Psychology, AP Biology, and AP Statistics in her time at RMA and does her best to excel in these and all of her other classes. She cares about her work and completes her assignments to the best of her abilities. I believe the main reason Deborah so often finds success is because she is someone who sets a personal standard for herself, and from then on refuses to do anything but exceed expectations. 

Her hometown of Scotland Neck has had a large impact in raising her, and even though she has to drive between school and home, back and forth every day, she wouldn’t trade her home for anything. As a farmer’s daughter, she knows the benefits of working as hard as one can and she undoubtedly does this in everything she undertakes. She has applied to many great colleges, including NC State, Alabama, University of South Carolina, ECU, and Auburn. As of now, she is unsure where she will be attending next year but it can be sure that she will take her trademark courage of conviction and personal drive with her wherever she lands. There is a quote by Kurt Hahn, the founder of Outward Bound, that I believe represents who Deborah is better than anything I could write now, so allow Mr. Hahn speak for me and everyone who knows Deborah when he listed the following qualities as the most important a person can exhibit: “an enterprising curiosity, an undeniable spirit, tenacity in pursuit, readiness for sensible self-denial, and above all, compassion.” Though she leaves us next year for bigger things, Rocky Mount Academy will remember how lucky we have been to have her as a student and friend here and the things she has done with her time. All the many things that she achieved will not soon be forgotten. Rocky Mount Academy loves you, Deborah, and we are wishing you the absolute best in your future!

1. Who is your greatest role model? My mom. She is the most hardworking, caring, and independent person I know. 
  2. What is your favorite thing to do in your free time? Be with friends.
  3. What is your favorite movie? Mamma Mia.
  4. What are three words that best describe you? Coachable, Honest, Outgoing.
  5. If you were stranded on a deserted island and you could only have three things with you, what would they be? Eliza, my phone, unlimited sandwiches.
  6. Who is your favorite music artist? Kacey Musgraves.
  7. Where do you feel the happiest? The beach or anywhere warm.
  8. What is one thing you are looking forward to in the coming year? Deciding where I want to go to college.
  9. Where do you see yourself in ten years? Not really sure, hopefully buying and selling clothes for a major clothing company.
  10. Who is your favorite celebrity? Blake Lively.