Five Members of the Class of 2015: Nominees for Prestigious Scholarships

Lindsey Ross, Photographer

On Tuesday, September 2nd, the finalists for the Belk Scholarship of Davidson College, the Morehead-Cain Scholarship of UNC-Chapel Hill, and the Park Scholarship of N.C. State University were released.

The Belk Scholarship is an all inclusive scholarship funded by alumnus John Montgomery Belk. It was created to attract unique, talented students to Davidson College. Davidson is ranked as one of the best liberal arts colleges in the nation and is only twenty minutes from Charlotte, N.C. This year, Hayley Sigmon was nominated for this prestigious scholarship. Of the nominees, only eight are chosen to receive this renowned scholarship. Because of the exclusivity of this program, even being nominated is an honor.

Earlier this week, Brice Andracchio and Colby Kirkpatrick received the announcement that they are being considered for the Morehead-Cain Scholarship of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. After hearing the good news, Colby said, “I’m honored to receive the RMA Morehead-Cain Scholarship nomination and am excited to get the process started.” The Morehead- Cain Program, modeled after Oxford University’s Rhodes Scholarship, is the first merit scholarship program created at the first public university in the nation. For all four years of college, education and living expenses are paid for by this foundation. This also includes four summers abroad focusing on leadership and service. In recent years, Rocky Mount Academy has had two graduating seniors continue on to UNC as Morehead scholars: Tripp Andracchio (‘13) and Emma Park (‘12).

The nominees for the Park Scholarship of N.C. State University from Rocky Mount Academy this year are Meg Deyton and Rachel Williams. The Park Scholarship, founded by Roy H. Park, is centered upon four main elements: scholarship, leadership, service, and character. Like the Morehead-Cain and Belk scholarships, the Park is an all-inclusive scholarship. The Park also allows participating students funds for conducting their own projects. Usually, forty college freshman are awarded the Park Scholarship. Meg states, “It is a huge honor that I’m grateful for and I hope I can go far in the entire process.”

The success of past graduating students from Rocky Mount Academy is truly impressive. This highlights the excellent education that RMA offers to all students. These five nominees have set the bar extremely high for underclassmen and show the true value of a Rocky Mount Academy education.