2019 Anne Weaver Recipient: Sarah Catheryne Coltrane

Virginia Wooten, Treasurer

Each year, Rocky Mount Academy awards a scholarship to a rising 9th, 10th, or 11th grader that is a unique, hardworking student who shows leadership and academic excellence. This prestigious scholarship is named the Anne MacPhearson Weaver Memorial Scholarship, in honor of a 1984 graduate who fell ill due to cancer. Anne Weaver embodied the characteristics of intelligence, hard work, dedication, and leadership; all of which the recipient must have. To receive this scholarship, one must be nominated by a member of RMA, undergo a thorough examination of one’s resume, and end with a face-to-face interview to talk with the student about their goals and aspirations. The student chosen annually to win this scholarship must show promise of improving the school’s community with their presence and drive.

The 2019 winner of the Weaver Scholarship was awarded to Sarah Catheryne Coltrane, a current 8th Grader from Martin Millennium Academy in Tarboro, NC. She has been awarded with a full high school tuition, which equates to about $45,000 total. When asked about why she was interested in pursuing this scholarship, she responded saying, “When receiving the opportunity to attend RMA I was overwhelmed by the welcoming staff and scholars. I was also intrigued by the smaller class sizes, a larger range of AP classes, and the vast options for the extracurricular activities.”

She has been awarded this prestigious scholarship through her hard work in school, volunteering, and sports over the years. She is a straight-A student, while also balancing a wide variety of extracurriculars. “ I have served as a volunteer and participated in the Run For Your Life 5k which is an annual fundraiser for the Edgecombe Cancer Support Foundation. During the summers of 2017 and 2018, I volunteered at the Freedom School reading with and conducting testing for at-risk elementary aged children. I have completed service hours at the Tarboro Police Department, Tarboro Town Hall, and Tar River trash cleanup. I am active as an acolyte. I participate as a member of Backpack Buddies, an outreach program that provides meals to students over the weekend when they do not benefit from the free lunch program at school. I am also active in the North Carolina Episcopal Diocese retreats such as Bishops Ball, Genesis, and the Chartered Committee for Youth.”

Along with these after-school activities, she has been quite an athlete. Sarah Catheryne has been swimming competitively since 5 years old, beginning her swim career at the Tarboro Swim Club in the summertime. She carried her abilities to the next level, participating on the Rocky Mount YMCA swim team at age 11. She states about her passion for swimming that “I have learned a great deal about my personal drive and dedication. I have also had opportunities to meet and form bonds with my teammates and coaches.” On top of her time spent in the water, she also has played soccer for her school the past two years as a midfielder! We hope to see her shine in the pool and on the field for the years to come.

During school, she has kept herself busy by taking the most challenging classes possible. With her strong suit being math and science, she has tried to advance her knowledge in those courses as much as possible this year by taking a high school math class. She currently is learning Geometry and Algebra II in just 8th grade! At school she also active in many clubs, such as Beta Club, Quiz Bowl, AIG, Student Ambassadors Club, Chorus, scrapbooking club, yoga club, and running club. Through her dedication to her studies and her local community of Tarboro, she has been awarded an array of awards for her intellect and talents. This includes Magnificent Millennium Shake winner 2017, Best Offensive Player for soccer 2018, MVP for swimming past seven years, Principal’s list and Citizenship Award throughout elementary and middle school, First place in the Rotary essay contest 2018, Third place in Art Explosion 2018, and Third place in Quiz Bowl at the Beta Club Convention 2017.

Not only is Sarah Catheryne a standout student, athlete, and volunteer, but she is a wonderful person. With a heart of gold and bubbly personality, there is no doubt that she will impact RMA in the best possible way. She loves her family, friends, and her community, and her new school is already added on to that list! Rocky Mount Academy looks forward to having such a bright young woman added to the student body, and her name plaque added to Bradley Hall’s list of Anne Weaver Scholarship Winners.

Find out more about Sarah Catheryne below:

1- What’s the first thing on your bucket list?

To travel

2- What is your spirit animal?

A butterfly

3- Where would you go on your dream vacation?

I would travel to Italy because of the attractions and food!

4- Who is your role model?

Florence Nightingale because she paved the way for women in medicine

5- What is a little known fact about you?

My favorite snack is a spoonful of peanut butter with mini chocolate chips.

6- What is your favorite song?

“Dancing Queen”

7- What would your perfect day consist of?

My perfect day consists of playing on the beach with family, friends, and my dog Sam.

8- What is your favorite subject in school? Why?

My favorite subject in school is science because you can’t always succeed without failure or trial and error.

9- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

In ten years I see myself almost finished with optometry school

10- What quote do you live by?

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill