Dear Everyone, With Love From the Seniors

Caroline Gay, Photographer

The stress of choosing a college at this very moment in time for seniors all around is very hectic. Seniors are under pressure! From trying to get projects done, write research papers, get ready for the New York trip, keep up with social lives, and most of all, figuring out where each one will attend school in the fall which is right around the corner, we are all struggling in some way or another. Some know where they are going, and some have no clue! Here are a few different little letters to our parents, our fellow underclassmen, and our siblings that the seniors want to briefly talk to.

Dear Parents of Seniors,

Thanks for all that you do for us. We appreciate you sending us to a private school to get a quality education and prepare us for our college lives. As January flew by and February is already here, we really need you as our parents to support us in our efforts to figure out which college is right for us. We might get on your nerves a little bit more than usual right now, so we apologize. Please be patient with us as we try to figure out what the next chapter in our lives looks like. In four short months, we are all going to get up on that stage in the gym, shake hands with Ms. Covolo, receive our diploma, and be on our way to wherever we’re going. Thank you so much for allowing us to do that. We look up to you so much more than you know and get credit for. We look to you for guidance, wisdom, and helpful advice. Although we are young, we still have some idea of what we want to get out of our lives, and with your help, we can fulfill our hopes and dreams. You have supported us in every way possible–financially, emotionally, mentally, and many more–for the past seventeen or eighteen years. Thank you so much for that. How crazy is it to think that in (hopefully) four or five years, you won’t have to support us anymore. We will be living on our own, almost entirely because you, our parents, have never failed to support us. Thanks for it all.

Love,

The Seniors

Dear Juniors and Underclassmen,

We say this out of love for y’all: don’t have your mind set on one particular college for your four years of high school. It will wear you down and stress you out way more than you should be. You need to enjoy your years in high school because, as much as you hate to hear it, these days are going to end faster than you think, and you’re going to miss them. Senioritis is a real thing that probably all of you will experience at some point, but we promise that it will be a lot better if you wait until at least the third trimester for it to really start affecting you! We have dealt with the stress of high school for almost four whole years, and we know the stress you’re having right now. Stop worrying so much, and just enjoy where you are right now. It’s fine if you are a huge fan of a particular school–if you’re a die hard Duke fan or a strong willed Carolina fan or even an ECU pirate at heart! The problem comes to many students when they have their minds set on going to a particular school they have always rooted for, and that is fine to want to go to there, but don’t have a close minded attitude about it. Always be open to other schools for the future because sometimes our dream colleges change at the very last second or things just don’t turn out the way we anticipated. Don’t spend all of your time worrying about college; just do your best in high school, and the college that YOU are perfect for will find you. Everything works itself out eventually! Even though sometimes you underclassmen get on our nerves, we still love and care about you.

Love,

The Seniors

Dear Siblings of Seniors,

You, our siblings, whether older or younger, are the ones who have really shaped us into the people we are today. You have either been role models for us to look up to throughout the years, or you’ve been the somewhat annoying, but lovable, younger siblings that we’ve had to take care of and through that, grow more mature and independent. We are all about to go through some minor life changes within the next couple months, and we ask that you support and love us no matter where we decide to go in the fall, which sorority or fraternity we want to join, or what major we want to have. It’s hard being a younger sibling and easily falling into the footsteps of your older sibling even when it isn’t beneficial to follow in his or her footsteps. It’s also hard being the older sibling trying to decide on a college when you want to set a good example for your younger brother or sister, and you want to stay close to them when you leave for college. It’s hard for us to not take you into consideration when we decide on which college to attend, but we all have to do what is best for us! Older siblings: Don’t be offended if we don’t go to the same college you are at now or went to in the past. Younger siblings: Don’t be offended if we don’t stay close to home to be near you (or go far away from home like you’ve always wanted)! Growing up is tough, but we have to make the decisions that will benefit us in the long run. Thank you for always supporting us.

Love,

The Seniors