Senior Spotlight: Macie Barnes

Ann Sumner Thorp, Editor-in-Chief

If you ever need someone to brighten up your day, Macie is the perfect person to seek. With her contagious smile and thoughtful personality, Macie never fails to brighten up my day. Her love for life and musicals is evident as she shines bright in this year’s senior class. Never failing to give a kind word, I can personally testify that she gives a little piece of her heart to everyone she comes in contact with. It’s hard to believe that this is only her second year at RMA with her many contributions to the RMA Drama Department and to our Senior class.

Our Drama Department wouldn’t be the same without Macie. She has given herself wholeheartedly to each role starting with the Middle School production of Charlotte’s Web when she volunteered to help lead the musical. That same year she dedicated herself to the High School production of Grease, which was an instant success. She played the role of Jan, one of the Pink Ladies who is known for her bubbly personality and vivacious spirit. Macie performed this role perfectly, giving 100% of herself to her character and to the musical. Anyone who attended the performances of Grease can agree that it was Broadway material, selling out each night. Mrs. Whitehurst said this about her, “Macie is one of the most talented actresses I’ve ever worked with and one of the sweetest people I know. Don’t be surprised if you see her name in lights one day!”

Macie brightens every room she walks into. I feel that a quote by Jon Kabat-Zinn truly embodies Macie’s impact on our school:

“Practice sharing the fullness of your being, your best self, your enthusiasm, your vitality, your spirit, your trust, your openness, above all, your presence. Share it with yourself, with your family, with the world.”

Macie does that every day, and I recommend going ahead and getting her autograph now (I know I will) because before you know it, Macie will be starring on Broadway!

Get to know Macie below:

1. How many years have you been at RMA?

This is my second year here.

1. What is your favorite musical?

Ooh that’s a hard question because I love so many of them, but my all-time favorite has to be “CATS: the musical”, though the cancelled “Lolita, my Love” and the newer “Be More Chill” are a close second!!

1. What colleges are you applying too? What is your dream school?

My dream school is the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. I am also planning on applying to UNCW and High Point University, and I’m thinking about a couple other ones as well.

1. If you could have any career what would it be and why?

My dream career is to be a well-known actress. I have my heart set on Broadway acting, but I would enjoy being in a movie too. Kind of optimistic maybe but hey, anything is possible.

1. What is your dream role?

I’m not really sure what my dream role would be…. I’ve always wanted to play Peter Pan in the Peter Pan musical. He is played by actresses most always, so it would be quite easy for me to be him (especially since I’m small, and I keep my hair short). I would love to be the mischievous cat, Rumpleteazer, in CATS since she is my favorite character, and her rascally and energetic nature would be so fun to play!! Hopefully I can be in a musical where I could play a lovely lead girl. It would be a dream to play a beautiful love interest type, even if she is ditsy, think Miss Adelaide, Christine Canigula or Audrey Mushnick; I’ve wanted to be able to pull off being someone like that in a show since I was just a daydreaming little kid- that’s not something I usually tell people.

1. What musicals have you been in at RMA?

At RMA, I’ve been in Grease. I’m going to be in the next show we do as well.

1. Do you have any other activities you participate in outside of school?

I’ve started doing community theatre, and I go to Church. I also collect stuff- like vinyl records.  

1. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?

Probably New York City- maybe somewhere in California if I could find work there. I’ve wanted to travel to Tokyo, Japan and stay there for a bit since I was about 10. I would probably only be there for 3 months though.

1. Favorite Movie?

My favorite movie is The Blues Brothers!! I’ve probably watched it over 40 times by now. I even have a Blues Brother record!!

1. What are you most looking forward to this year?

I think that I just can’t wait to make memories and be able to look back on them and laugh. The show and the Senior trip especially.

1. What first got you interested in theater?

I found out about theatre as a kid (I think through cartoons or something) and instantly fell in love with anything involving musicals or acting.

1. What is your favorite memory of RMA?

That’s hard to decide because I have so many great memories of this place. The Junior trip was absolutely amazing, and I have a lot of awesome memories from it, so I guess maybe something from there?

1. Who is your role model/hero?

I’m not sure that I have a specific role model; there are a lot of people that I appreciate in various ways though. If anything, I take attributes from different people that I admire and think of as an ideal self, and I work to be like that. I just want to be the best Me that I can be.