Faculty Focus: Mrs. Sarah Winters

Mrs. Winters with her husband, Mr. Winters

Holly Brantley

Every good education begins with a good start and, more importantly, good teachers. Thankfully, our youngest students at Rocky Mount Academy are fortunate enough to have one of the best teachers: Mrs. Sarah Winters! Mrs. Winters, formally known as Ms. Collins, has been working at RMA since around 2010 as one of our PreK teacher and our After School Enrichment director. Anyone who has ever been around small children knows that while they may be absolutely adorable and precious in every way, they can sometimes be a handful. Not only do those who direct these eager younger learners must teach them their letters and numbers, but also substantial life skills such as sharing, following directions, and developing empathy. While making sure these aspects are taught in the most thorough way, Mrs. Winters takes these critical lessons and furthers the impact on her students through leading by example. She makes these important lessons fun and engaging, complete with silly songs and games.

The impact that Mrs. Winters has had on her students and all those around her directly reflects her happy, upbeat, and kind personality. Her son, senior Davis Collins, says, “Sarah Winters is one of the nicest and most engaging teachers I know and I’m glad that she is my mom. She is always happy to help and play with her students.” Likewise, one of her current students, Maggie Whitehurst says, “My favorite part about Mrs. Winters is when she teaches and learns us.” As you can see, the love that students have for Mrs. Winters extends from even the youngest learners the oldest.

As someone who personally works for Mrs. Winters in the Afterschool Enrichment program, I can say firsthand that the love Mrs. Winters has for her students is undoubtedly sincere and reciprocated. Working in ASE has definitely been a blessing to my life and I know that this rings true for many of the other workers. With her kind words, upbeat personality, and loving nature, Mrs. Winters has easily been one of the best additions to RMA.

Mrs. Winters’ three sons (from left to right): Max, Wade, and Davis

To learn more about Mrs. Winters, please read the interview below!

1. How long have you been working at RMA? My first job at RMA was a substitute teacher in music for Mr. Ezzard. Then I started working at RMA in 2010 as a Pre-K & K Music teacher! I began working as the After school Enrichment Director shortly afterwards as well!
  2. Where would you take your dream vacation? I would love to return to Europe someday.   I visited Switzerland, France and Spain in high school.  I would love to revisit them as an adult and tour Italy too!  Another item on my bucket list would be to take a River Cruise someday!
  3. What is the funniest thing that you have ever heard one of your students say? It is very difficult to pick “the” funniest thing.  We laugh everyday at the hilarious things that are said.  In fact we keep a notebook of quotable quotes.  If you ever need a good laugh, please come by and we will share.  Here is one…”While trying to choose someone to tag in the game “Duck, Duck, Goose” a child says he can’t decide who to tag and sighs and says dramatically,”I think I’m having a nervous breakdown!”
  4. What first got you into teaching? When I went to college I didn’t know what I wanted to major in at all.  In the fall of my freshman year, my niece was born!  I became very interested in child development and how children grow and learn.  She was my inspiration!  I quickly declared my major to Child Development and Family Studies and worked to get a teaching certificate in Birth to 6th grade!
  5. What is your best childhood memory? My best childhood memories were playing outside in my neighborhood in Raleigh.  My friends and I rode bikes, played kick the can, and capture the flag!  Our parents would call us to come home when it was getting dark or dinner time.  It was awesome!  Those were the days…
  6. Who was your hero when you were younger? The closest thing to a hero that I can pick would be my wonderful parents.  They were both kind, caring and compassionate.  They had a tremendous impact on my life.  I miss them both very much.
  7. If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be? This is a very challenging question.  I think I would like be a witness of the time when Jesus walked on the earth, taught his disciples, and performed miracles.
  8. What would you most like for your students to learn from you this year? We work very hard each year to teach our students many things.  We love to teach them how to gain independence and self help skills.  In Pre-K this might look like packing and unpacking a backpack, putting coats on and zipping them all by themselves, opening juice boxes, and the list goes on!  It is a joy to watch them accomplish things all by themselves.  Their smile when they zip their coat for the first time is a sight to see!
  9. What is your favorite movie and why? It is hard to pick a favorite movie.  I love Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption. The determination that the characters possess in each movie is inspiring.
  10. What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? What piece of advice do you want to pass on? The best advice is the Golden Rule.  To treat others the way you want to be treated!  It is simple and I try to live by it everyday.