Faculty Focus: Genie Andracchio

Lauren Seale

Helper. Schedule keeper. Editor. Conversationalist. Life saver. If you were to ask any senior to describe Mrs. Andracchio, I’m sure that at least one of these examples would come up in the conversation. Genie Andracchio has been a member of the Rocky Mount Academy family ever since she attended here herself as a “lifer.” Then, she watched her children complete their primary education in the same hallways, and now she is able to assist other students as they work through the college application process.

Her niece and nephew, Emory and Jack Pittman, also attend Rocky Mount Academy. When asked about her aunt, Emory was quick to say “She is my queen. I love her!” Mrs. Andracchio has no trouble at all connecting with students of all ages, allowing her to better get to know them. She is able to create a relationship with many students before their senior year, so helping with their applications becomes much easier for her. Mrs. Andracchio has also taken over the responsibility (along with Mr. Tucker and Mrs. Whitehurst) of managing the senior class, not only their applications. She has communicated deadlines, collected money, and kept everyone a little bit more sane during such a stressful time. I can honestly say I’ve met few people who are able to stay as organized and responsible as her, and those I have were not doing it for nearly as many people as she.

Now is where I’d like to address Mrs. Andracchio directly. I think I speak for the entire senior class when I say thank you. None of us can begin to understand how much work you truly do for us, from managing our applications and transcripts to our teacher recommendations and our naviance accounts (not to mention the fact that you do it so well for each and every last one of us). Thank you for putting up with some of the messier seniors, for talking with some of the more talkative of us, for stopping what you’re doing to offer assistance, and for keeping candy available (when we are being good, that is) to keep our energy up. Well, our energy and all the teachers in the school who stop by for some, too! None of our applications would be nearly as strong, and some might not even have been submitted, if it weren’t for you. Thank you from the bottom of all of our hearts, we appreciate everything so very much.

To learn more about Genie Andracchio, please refer to the following interview:

1. How much candy do the senior classes normally go through (because it is my understanding that the class of 2018 has already made a new record!)? I’m not sure of the exact poundage (this year already has been well over 30), but without a doubt the Class of 2018 has already consumed more candy than the Class of 2017 did all last year.
  2. What made you start college counseling? I really enjoy the application process and I love working with all of you!
  3. What is your favorite place to go out to eat? On the Square in Tarboro or Charlie Bird in NYC
  4. I know you travel quite a bit! What is the best trip you’ve ever been on? Do you have a “bucket list” destination? Best trip would be to Castello di Casole in Tuscany for our 25th wedding anniversary. Bucket list is Fiji and French Polynesia.
  5. How are you able to manage 30+ senior’s schedules, as well as your own families? Seriously, I think anyone reading could benefit from your tips in this regard! Naviance (the software we use to track applications and their supporting documents) has been a godsend. I can’t imagine doing this job without it! I also always have a notebook with a daily “To Do” list. At the end of the day I start the next day’s list so whatever I haven’t completed gets carried over. Unfortunately, I’m not as organized at home…
  6. What’s your favorite thing to do outside of school? Be with my family either at the beach or skiing. With our children scattered across the country, time together has become especially precious.
  7. Do you have a favorite memory from your time as a student at RMA? I am an RMA “lifer,” so I have lots of great memories – 1st grade with Mrs. Proctor, the Williamsburg trip, basketball and soccer games, Spring Break at Atlantic Beach, and our senior class trip to NYC with Mr. Proctor and Mr. Bailey.
  8. If you could only listen to one music album for the rest of your life, what would it be? I couldn’t choose just one. My tastes vary depending on my mood and what I’m doing, but right now I mostly listen to country music. My current favorite on XM is The Highway.
  9. What’s the craziest question you’ve ever been asked as a counselor? “What is the name of our school?”
  10. Do you have any advice for any underclassmen students who may be reading this? Ninth grade counts – please don’t wait until junior year to start caring about your grades!