Top Ten Places for Long Lunch

Top Ten Places for Long Lunch

Lauren Seale

Long lunch is a privilege at RMA for juniors and seniors who have earned it. However, if they are anything like me, deciding on a place to eat can be way harder than it should be! You have to take into account the price, the type of food, the time it normally takes to eat; far too many factors to have to think of every single Friday in the case of juniors, or almost every day for seniors! Below, I’ve taken input from juniors and seniors alike in their favorite places to go to compile a list of the top 10 spots for long lunch. This way, it may alleviate some of the pressure for figuring out the perfect place to get food the next time you get to go out for lunch!

10) La Perla Tapatia Speed: 5/10; Price: $$$

• La Perla has been a common long lunch destination (particularly for last years senior class) for all the years I have been at RMA. It is a sit down style Mexican restaurant right down the road! Sometimes referred to as “the train restaurant” because some of the seating is located in an old train car, it is typically not super busy during lunch. This allows students to get a hot meal in a restaurant environment without having to rush too much to get back to school! Depending on what you order, it can be a bit on the more expensive side of the scale, so it’s more of a once a month lunch outing.

9) Harris Teeter Speed: 7/10 (most of the time); Price: $

• Harris Teeter may be a grocery store, but some students have turned to it as a restaurant, too! The deli inside makes sandwiches, and sometimes there is even a sushi chef! However, you can also always turn to the food isles (some guys in my grade have considered just buying a whole rotisserie chicken for $5 as their lunch)! Unless the line for the deli or checkout is outrageously long, it is normally pretty quick, and shouldn’t make too much of a dent in your wallet.

8) McDonalds Speed: 9/10; Price: $

• McDonalds has been a fast food destination for years, so it makes sense that it would be on the long lunch list! It is the true American fast food stop, and is typically quick and cheap. They have also just introduced (real!) chick strips to the menu, so think of McDonalds the next time you go to long lunch!

7) Honeybaked Ham Speed: 5/10; Price $$$

• Honeybaked Ham is a great “healthier” option (depending on what you get) for long lunch. With tasty sandwiches and salads, most everyone can find something they like. It is also really close to school, so time is not really an issue for this restaurant. The biggest con is the price. Most of the sandwiches cost around $7 or $8 dollars, and when you add drinks and tax that makes most meals over $10. It doesn’t seem like that expensive, but it adds up over time!

6) Hardees Speed: 6/10; Price: $

• Hardees has always been a “long lunch favorite.” They have anything from chicken tenders to burgers, and even desserts (like their big chocolate chip cookie!). Being just right down the road, it makes time less of an issue, but they can sometimes take a little while preparing your food. If you are short on time, the drive through is typically your best bet. As for its price range, I’d say is a slightly more expensive version of McDonalds, but still very affordable!

5) Taco Bell Speed: 8/10; Price: $

• Taco Bell is a great place to get some quick mexican food to go. They offer quesadillas, burritos, tacos, and other fan favorites (such as the quesarito!). It is normally a pretty quick bite, particularly if you chose to go through the driveway and bring the food back to school. It’s a great place to go for seniors who may have clubs during Flex, but still want lunch out! It’s also not very pricey, which is great news for a high schooler’s wallet!

4) Your Own House! Speed: depends on where you (or your friend) lives; Price: $

• Going home for lunch (or to a friends house) is common practice among those of us whose “lunch funds” have slowly dwindled to nearly nothing. This way, students can still get the freedom from school for a little while, but they don’t have to break the bank! Students bring their lunch to their friends home, or sometimes even the parents will alternate hosting long lunch and provide the meals! Overall, this version of long lunch only takes a while if the house is far away, and never should cost anyone too much money!

3) Sonic Speed: 6/10; Price $$

• Sonic is a favorite meeting spot after football games, but it is also popular for lunch! It takes only a few minutes to get from school to the restaurant, and its push-button ordering machines make separate transactions easy! However, sometimes it can get a little expensive, but you definitely get enough food for the price. (Pro Tip – for small appetites and budgets, if you get a small popcorn chicken, a mini tater tot/fries, and a cup of water, the total is exactly $4.20!)

2) Tokyo Express Speed: 7/10; Price: $($)

• There is seldom a long lunch day that goes by that at least one RMA student doesn’t make an appearance at Tokyo Express. The menu consists of classic japanese cuisine, like hibachi chicken and teriyaki steak! They also even have sushi! It is close enough to school, and quick enough there, that most students have no problem eating in the restaurant and getting back to school on time. While it can be a little pricey (with sodas and extra “yum yum sauce,” the total can be close to or over $10), Tokyo fills your plate or take out box to the brim. When I get Tokyo, I’m really getting two (and sometimes even three) meals for the price of one, so it isn’t all that expensive in the grand scheme of things!
  1. Cookout Speed: 5/10; Price: $
    • Few students at Rocky Mount Academy have never had Cookout. With a large menu – from burgers, to sandwiches, to quesadillas and more – even the pickiest of eaters can find something they’d like. The only downside to Cookout is that it takes a little while to get there. I would not suggest this restaurant if you are unable to leave for long lunch during Flex. However, the price is pretty fantastic for the amount of food you get, especially with a Cookout Tray. The combination of great food and great price outweighs the slightly longer drive, winning Cookout the number one spot for favorite long lunch destinations!