Movie Time with Haven: Ten Movies to Watch Before Graduating High School

Haven Ross

Watching movies is one the most common forms of entertainment today. There is a genre or subgenre that perfectly fits the interests of anyone in the world. Movies teach us about emotions, the past, the future and life lessons, and then some are solely for entertainment. They have a major impact on society and people’s thoughts. Though there are countless movies that exist and countless more being written and produced, here is a short list of movies everyone should see before graduating high school.

1. Mean Girls

The list starts with the 2004 classic, Mean Girls. Cady Heron, played by Lindsay Lohan, begins her first year of public high school after moving to Illinois from Africa. Her first two friends, Ian and Janice, give her the guidelines of high school and the existing cliques. The most feared clique is “the Plastics,” and Cady ends up befriending them. Janice, Ian, and Cady form a plot to take down these mean girls, but Cady ends up falling for her new social life and losing herself in the process, all while chasing the cutest guy in school, Aaron Samuels. Everyone should watch Mean Girls at some point in their life because it teaches about the consequences of gossiping, and it is also quoted frequently. It’s so fetch!

1. Titanic

You may ask yourself one day, how do you think the unthinkable? And this movie answers that question: with an itheberg. The epic love story taking place during the disastrous trip on the “unsinkable” RMS Titanic across the ocean to New York has been noted as one of the best films of all time. It follows the intertwining lives of first-class passenger, Rose, and a poor artist, Jack. Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio’s characters spark up a romance, despite the fact that Rose is engaged to the malicious Cal Hackley. The film follows the seventeen year olds’ adventure on the doomed voyage. With legendary scenes of romance and a well-known score, this movie is one to be watched!

1. Schindler’s List

Any AP European history student of Mr. Stone’s can tell you why Schindler’s List is a movie you must see at some point in your life. The film follows the true story of Oskar Schindler during World War II. Schindler was a Nazi party member looking to make money off of the war. He uses Jews as workers in his factory. When the conditions for Jews become worse and worse, Oskar must find a way to protect his factory workers. The film, which is admittedly gruesome and hard to watch, is one the most historically accurate movies of all time. It opens the eyes of viewers to what was going on during this time period but not in the style of a textbook. Also, it was the first major role Liam Neeson ever had.

1. The Breakfast Club

This famous John Hughes movie has been a favorite in the hearts of Americans since 1985. On a Saturday in March, five students of different backgrounds and personalities meet at their high school for weekend detention.  While angering their quick-tempered principal, the students share about their lives and come closer together. Through jokes and the characters’ stories, the movie teaches valuable lessons, like everyone has something they are going through and insecurities should be embraced, not hidden. And, of course, everyone recognizes the last scene of the movie where Bender exits the football field with his fist in the air to the song “Don’t You Forget About Me.”

1. The Help

The movie based off of a book that swept the nation in 2011 was The Help. The Help follows Skeeter Phelan as she tries to rise up in the field of journalism in Jackson, Mississippi during the Civil Rights Movement. Skeeter’s breakthrough idea is to write a book about racial injustices that African American women face while working in the homes of white families. With the help of two maids, Aibileen and Minny, Skeeter writes her book through the eyes of “the help” themselves. As time passes and more injustices take place, more maids contribute to Skeeter’s book. The movie has a star studded cast with big names such as Emma Stone, Viola Davis, and Octavia Spencer. It’s a more recent film that focuses on a darker part of our history through a new perspective.

1. The Shawshank Redemption

The Shawshank Redemption focuses on the prison sentence of Andy Dufresne, who was put away to serve two life sentences for the murder of his wife and her friend, though he claims he did not commit the crimes. The movie follows the years he spends in prison. While serving his sentence, Andy helps a security guard with his tax troubles, and he ends up lending his financial help to several people employed by the prisons, leading to his protection from the guards. With his friend, Red, by his side, Andy makes the most out of his time in prison through helping people and changing the mindsets of other prisoners. The ending of the movie is unforgettable, and it is on TV all the time. And of course, who doesn’t love Morgan Freeman?

1. Stars Wars Episode IV

You simply cannot go through life without seeing the first Star Wars movie. The third highest grossing movie of all time was released in 1977, and it has remained astoundingly popular since then. The first film is set during a civil war. Princess Leia has been captured by the Imperial Forces, led by Darth Vader. The plans to the Death Star lie in the hands of R2-D2 and C-3PO, who end up being sold to Luke Skywalker. Luke discovers Leia’s message, which asks for the help of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Luke finds Obi-Wan, and he becomes Luke’s mentor. The movie follows Luke on his adventure to deliver the Death Star plans to Leia’s home planet, but the plan goes awry. The movie’s extreme success is proof that you must watch this movie. It is referenced frequently today in regular conversation and entertainment. Use the Force!

1. Saving Private Ryan

This World War II film directed by Steven Spielberg is known for its historical accuracy, and its graphic first 27 minutes taking place at Omaha Beach during the Normandy landings. Captain John Miller and a squad of 7 are sent out to search for a soldier who is MIA, Private First Class James Francis Ryan. His three brothers have been killed in combat, and the Department of War wants to send him home. While searching, each member of the squad must overcome their own personal journey and face tragedies of war. The movie is partially true, being based on the story of the Niland brothers. The main actors went through boot camp to prepare for their roles to get an idea of what World War II soldiers went through. The film also features big names Tom Hanks and Matt Damon. Spielberg won the Academy Award for Best Director, and the movie took home the Golden Globe for Best Motion-Picture Drama. Don’t miss out on this truly moving film!

1. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

A classic high school comedy, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off follows a trouble-making senior, Ferris Bueller, as he fakes sick to get out of school. He enlists the help of his truly sick friend, Cameron, to help him get his girlfriend, Sloane, out of school. It leads to a stolen Ferrari, and the principal,  Mr. Rooney, hot on the trail of the misbehaving students. Ferris and his friends explore Chicago, seeing signature Chi-Town landmarks like the Sears Tower and Wrigley Field and joining a parade! Back in the suburbs, Mr. Rooney is trying to catch Ferris in his lies. The adventure makes for memorable scenes, and some drama relating to the vintage Ferrari. Ferris often breaks the fourth wall, talking to the viewers to explain his thoughts, which created a slew of quotes and one-liners that people reference today. This film is a must-see for any senior suffering from senioritis already! After all, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it,”- Ferris Bueller.

• Forrest Gump

Topping the list is one of America’s favorite movies, Forrest Gump. The movie follows the life of mentally-restricted Forrest Gump from childhood to when he has his own child. He never lets his mental disabilities get in the way of having a successful life, and he becomes an influential figure in several circumstances. He inspires “the King,” plays college football, fights in the Vietnam War, makes a killing in the shrimping business, meets two presidents, runs across the country (twice!), and the list goes on. The movie tells, and, in some places, reshapes, history through the eyes and experiences of Forrest. While he is inadvertently changing the world, Forrest is chasing after his great childhood love, Jenny. Their lives intertwine several times throughout the movie, and the love they share is badly timed but true. The dramatic comedy is one of the most quoted films of all time. It teaches simple, yet valuable life lessons. For example, you won’t know what you’re capable of until you try. Forrest’s physical and mental disabilities could have held him back, but he shatters the odds through his determination. The whole movie centers around open-mindedness. Without Forrest’s optimistic view of life, he wouldn’t have ended up as successful and happy in the end. “My mom always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”

Honorable mentions:

If you finish this list before graduation day, here are some movies you should check out as well!

Rocky: Everyone loves an underdog story, especially the Italian Stallion’s.

James Bond: You have to see at least one James Bond movie at some point in your life. 007 has the coolest suits, gadgets, and suave nature of any spy.

Ocean’s 11: George Clooney as a criminal pulling off several casino heists at once. Watch it.