Griffin Wingfield Awarded Prestigious Ann MacPherson Weaver Scholarship

Anna Scott Wingfield, Photographer

Griffin Wingfield, son of Scott and Leigh Ann Wingfield, was awarded the esteemed Ann Weaver Memorial Scholarship for this year. The Ann MacPherson Weaver Memorial Scholarship was established in 1986 in memory of a 1984 RMA graduate who succumbed to cancer earlier that year. This competitive scholarship is given each year to a deserving student who best represents the selection criteria and who has never attended any grade of Rocky Mount Academy. Selection criteria are based on these qualities that Ann Weaver possessed: Forceful and unselfish character, intellectual and personal vigor, academic achievement, leadership in both school and community activities, and positive potential for enriching the environment at Rocky Mount Academy.

Griffin Wingfield will join the community of Weaver scholars and attend Rocky Mount Academy in the fall on a full-tuition scholarship valued at over $47,000 for four years. Currently an eighth grader at Nash Central Middle School, Griffin is very involved in sports and service activities at NCMS and will continue to do so at RMA. He has been a key member of the soccer, baseball, basketball, and cross country teams for two years. Griffin is also a dedicated member of the Junior Beta Club, and has visited the State Convention in Greensboro for the past two years. In addition to Beta Club, he is a member of the Quiz Bowl team and enjoys learning and competing with his teammates. Griffin currently has two siblings at Rocky Mount Academy, myself, a junior and John Thomas, a second grader, who he will be joining next year.

On most weekends, you can find Griffin in the woods. He is a very passionate hunter and outdoorsman. To pursue his goal of becoming a better hunter, he has dedicated much of his time to studying behaviors of animals. I have seen my brother many times with his nose in a book using a highlighter to study and prepare for turkey season. Griffin also has food plots in our backyard and at his hunting spots where he has tested different soils and seeds. He does this to find the best combination for attracting deer to catch them on his trail camera.

There is no doubt that Griffin will flourish at Rocky Mount Academy as he is very passionate, driven, and possesses several leadership skills. He states, “I am extremely honored to be awarded the Ann Weaver scholarship and am eager to join all aspects of the community that is Rocky Mount Academy”.