Tyler’s Peak Memorial Playground

Anna Scott Wingfield, Photographer

Elizabeth Tyler Strandberg, Rocky Mount Academy graduate, made a lasting impact on both Rocky Mount Academy and the world around her. As a passionate student and athlete while at RMA, many remember her determination and both mental and physical toughness. She had a contagious smile and never met a stranger. After graduating from high school at RMA, she attended The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where she graduated with a degree in psychology. Following graduation, she moved out west to serve as a counselor for developmentally disabled children at C-V Ranch. Tyler spent numerous hours with the kids and took many of them fishing, hiking and more. Tyler passed away on August 22, 2015 in Jackson, Wyoming doing what she loved best, climbing in the Grand Teton Mountain Range.

The class of 2005 has pledged to plan, finance and construct a memorial to honor their friend and classmate, Tyler Strandberg. Rocky Mount Academy Alumni Will Kornegay explains the project in the attached video which was shown at the 41st annual “For the Children” Benefit Auction. As the video was being shown, those in attendance could donate from their phones and by the end of the Auction there was around $17,025 raised for this amazing project! The first part of this large plan includes a rock climbing wall which will be the backdrop of a much larger playground that the children of RMA can come to love and enjoy. This project will also eventually include a more natural and appealing fence and a new, appropriate playground structure with elements to tie together the theme.

If you or anyone would like to contribute to this project, you can send a check to Rocky Mount Academy with “Tyler’s Peak” in the memo line. You can also email [email protected] at any time for more details.