Senior Spotlight: Jami Perkins

This week’s Senior Spotlight features Jami Perkins. Jami started attending Rocky Mount Academy in her 8th grade year and has been a great addition to the class of 2016. She has thrived at RMA in academics and has been an active member in the community as well.

Throughout high school, Jami has challenged herself by exclusively taking Honors and AP courses in which she has succeeded notably. Jami has received the award of Highest Academic Average in both Algebra I and II and AP Biology. She has also earned the award of Academic Excellence in Spanish I, II, and II and Outstanding Achievement in World Cultures Honors.

Though her academic resume is impressive, Jami’s presence at RMA goes well beyond her test averages in the classroom. Jami’s participation in Key Club, as Publicity Chair and Vice President, earned her the title of Kiwanis Student of the Week, an award recognizing exceptional effort in community service. Jami has also held the title of Vice President of CARE Club, an organization dedicated to maintaining a positive and friendly environment for students on and off of RMA’s campus. Jami’s potential as a leader was recognized with a nomination to attend HOBY (Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership), a summer program which allows students to attend seminars on how to lead effectively and tap into their inner ability to do so. Over her five years at RMA, Jami has also taken advantage of the art and music programs available when she participated in two of the school’s plays and took Photography. Jami has put her organizational and photographical skills to work this year by helping Mrs. Patton with the yearbook her senior year. Get to know the many facets of Jami better with the interview below!

1. What is your favorite show at the moment?

Hannibal

1. What is an interesting fact about yourself?

I like to read batman comic books, my favorite is The Killing Joke

1. What colleges are you applying to?

UNCW and Alaska Pacific University

1. What is your pet peeve?

When people are mean

1. What will you miss most about RMA?

I will miss the close relationships with teachers.

1. What is something you’re proud of accomplishing in high school?

I am proud of being a marshal at graduation, receiving the Coach’s Award for basketball, and performing in the musicals!

1. What is your favorite quote?

“In spite of everything, I still believe people are very good art heart”- Anne Frank.

1. What has been your favorite class at RMA and why?

Psychology because I am a very curious person and I like to know why people do the things they do.

1. What are some of your favorite songs right now?

Work Song by Hozier and First by the Cold War Kids

1. Do you have any nicknames?

Some people call me Jame or James.

1. What do you think you will pursue in college?

I’d like to study Marine Biology and I am considering a minor in Chemistry.