Top 10 Websites RMA Students Use to Procrastinate

Thomas Moore, Business Manager

The occasional temptation of procrastination is something that RMA students know all too well. After some progress has been made on a project in Word or PowerPoint, students often reward themselves with a little break. From online shopping to gaming sites like all-casinos-games.com, students often find themselves online when, perhaps, they could be making a more constructive use of their time (not in class of course). Even though we know that English project is inevitable, surfing the web is a great way to procrastinate through wishful thinking or getting a new high score on the latest game. With that being said, these are the top ten most frequently visited websites by RMA students when they are in need of a mental break.

1. Pinterest

Pinterest is a social media website where users can “pin” items or ideas they like. It is similar to online shopping but more interactive. It can be a great website to get creative cool DIY ideas, new recipes, and even fitness tips. Pinterest is 30 billion pins strong and many high school and middle school students are found on this website in their free time.

1. World Golf Tour

World Golf Tour is, you guessed it, a virtual online golfing game. The player gets to choose a character and compete on many different courses. Once the player moves to the next level they can unlock a new club and as levels increase, it gets harder to unlock each club. “It’s very realistic and you feel like you are actually on the tour” said senior, Brendan Acker. Though this game won’t help your handicap in real life, it sure feels good to get a birdie…even if it is through a screen.

1. Twitter

Twitter is a social media site where users can post pictures, direct message others, and express themselves in 140 characters or less. A user can follow friends and family, and even those in the limelight. This site allows people of all different backgrounds to interact with each other. Got a Science project due Thursday? Steer clear of Twitter because you can spend countless hours on this website.

1. ESPN

Entertainment and Sports Programing Network, otherwise known as ESPN, is a popular site for those wanting to know what happened in the game the night before. Students can often be found checking their fantasy football teams on this or watching the funniest new sports videos. This website is used by all ages and people from around the world take advantage of the immediacy that ESPN provides through their reporting. Guy Deyton, a sophomore, says, “I constantly check ESPN’s website because I am sure Ben Roethlisberger is going to make a comeback”!

1. YouTube

YouTube is an online video site containing everything from that weird dog video your aunt emailed you a link to, to the newest music video from your favorite artist. Eagles love to spend hours upon hours on YouTube and their site actually provides several instructional videos that can be used for school. If you’ve ever taken a class with Mr. Stone, you know the power of John Green’s helpful and entertaining recaps of history.

1. Instagram

Instagram is a social media platform that allows accounts to post pictures and videos. Accounts can like and comment on other users’ posts. The vast majority of high school students at RMA have an Instagram account. Most of the students are very active on Instagram as seen under the spirit week hashtag #rmaeaglenation where tacky tourists and dynamic duos posted their pictures of the week. Students love to check their Instagram during lunch and break by doing the infamous scroll through their timelines.

1. Spotify

Spotify is an online website which allows users to listen to music, create playlists, and see what their friends are listening to. Most students enjoy listening to music while working on their studies and what better way to listen to music than to create a playlist and plug your headphones into your Surface Pro 3? Other than the fact Spotify Premium, which eliminates ads between every few songs, comes at a fee, RMA students approve of this website.

1. Online shopping

Online shopping is a great way to make your Christmas list when you have nothing to do in Flex. Online shopping can bring just about any item to the finger-tips of the shopper. Within a few short clicks the item can be bought and directly shipped to the buyer. Eagles love to online shop because of how much time it saves.

1. Netflix

Netflix is a website where you can watch unlimited movies, TV shows, and documentaries. Got an essay you need to be studying for? Don’t worry you can always count on new episodes of the Walking Dead to distract you so you can watch them rather than reading the dreaded Crash Course. Because of Netflix’s “auto-play” feature, which plays the next episode of a show automatically, the urge to return to one’s studies can quickly fade. Students also really like Netflix because it will also recommend other shows and movies to the user that it suspects they might be interested in.

1.  The Eagle Examiner

The Eagle Examiner, as you know, is the RMA Media Office website which contains weekly news articles, opinion pieces, quizzes, sports articles, and more. Everyone at RMA loves to read the Eagle Examiner because it allows its readers to keep up with current Rocky Mount Academy news, to global news. Students, and even staff, can’t get enough of it. With the intriguing articles and entertaining quizzes, everyone loves to be on the Eagle Examiner!