Faculty Focus: Mrs. Denise Helms

Julia High, Marketing Chair

This week’s faculty focus is one of everyone’s favorite math teachers, Mrs. Denise Helms. Joining the RMA family years ago, Mrs. Helms has impacted many students starting as young as 6th graders. If it is singing your way through memorizing the quadratic formula, or learning how to find the slope, Mrs. Helm’s room has a reputation for producing catchy, songs floating out into the halls! Learn more about Mrs. Helms in the interview below!

Where did you attend college?

I attended NC Wesleyan college right here in Rocky Mount. At that time, it was a very small and intimate college campus, with only about 200 students who lived on campus. We all knew one another, and our professors knew us all by name, which is not what you find at most colleges today.  That one-on-one relationship with my professors allowed me to graduate with a double major a year early.  I doubt that could have happened without their consistent encouragement.

What your hobbies outside of school? 

I enjoy walking for exercise (at high speed!), reading and involvement in my church.  I love spending time with my family and friends, and “game night” has long been a tradition at our home.

What is the most difficult part about your job? 

Hard question!  I think the most difficult part of being a teacher is working with students who have a high level of ability and no motivation.  There are many students who struggle and yet would do anything to achieve success.  I guess, on their behalf, I find it difficult to be patient with anyone who is not willing to put forth their best effort.

What is the most rewarding part about your job? 

The most rewarding part of my job is playing a role in the success of others. Having students email me from college or come back to visit to tell me how much they appreciate what they were taught means a great deal to me. And now I’ve taught long enough that many of my past students are adults and some are even parents of present students.  The fact that they thought I was an effective teacher and have very positive memories of my class (even the cheers and songs) is the highest compliment I could receive.  

What is your favorite quote?

It’s a quote about why forgiveness is so necessary in our lives.

“Being bitter or resentful is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.”

What is a little known fact about yourself?

I am the oldest of 4 children.  Both of my brothers are Lieutenants in the Air Force, and my sister is a Lieutenant Police Officer.  I am the only one who isn’t a Lieutenant!!

Describe an experience or person who made a tremendous impact on your life.

My grandmother made an impact on anyone who knew her.  She lived and worked thru the depression, raised 7 children, cared for a sick husband, yet she was never anything but positive. Grandma’s deep faith was evident in everything she did, and if the church doors were open, she was walking thru them!  She never judged others, even when she knew they were making mistakes.  Instead, Grandma would start praying for them, and the results were always amazing! Grandma died at 101 as a wealthy woman, but no one would have ever guessed it because she lived very frugally and gave generously to anyone in need. Grandma was a living example of the “virtuous woman” in Proverbs.

What was your favorite subject in school and why?

Believe it or not, I liked almost all of my classes!  Maybe that is why I’m still in school. But yes, math was my favorite subject, because there was no gray area.  The answer was either right or wrong, with no room for argument.

What is a pet peeve of yours?

That’s easy.  Laziness.  Whether in work or body language.

What is your favorite type of music?

Enya!!!! Which used to be considered alternative, but now I don’t know what category it would be.

What inspired your career path?

I think I would have to say divine intervention, because it was not what I had planned.  I was supposed to go to Duke to become an insurance actuary, but ended up at NC Wesleyan with a major in math and education.  My parents would not let me graduate without a teaching certification to “fall back on”.  I was offered a job at Northern Nash during my last semester of college, started teaching there and didn’t leave for 30 years!  But I would NEVER have been happy being an actuary. They sit in a cubicle and work with numbers all day.  NO interaction with people.  Yuck!!

What is your favorite thing about RMA so far?

It’s difficult to choose one because I really do enjoy many of the aspects, including small classes, caring co-workers, as well as supportive administration and parents.  But being limited to one, it would be the student age range and family atmosphere of the school. After teaching in a 9-12 school for most of my career, what has brought me the most joy is walking thru the courtyard and seeing the Pre-K thru elementary children playing. They have such zest for life that it makes me happy every time I see them!