Faculty Focus: Mr. Brian Wilson

This week, the Eagle Examiner features another new member of the RMA family: college counselor, Brian Wilson. Mr. Wilson, an avid dog-lover, hails from Oklahoma and has been advising college-bound seniors for around twenty years and has also had a career in journalism. During the day, he can be found in his office with the company of much of the senior class. When there is a football game at home, Mr. Wilson is sure to be sitting on the sideline with his Black Lab, Rufus, and West Highland Terrier, Albie, cheering on the Eagles. Read below to get to know some more interesting facts about RMA faculty’s new addition.

Where did you attend college?

I went to the University of Tulsa for both undergraduate and graduate school.

What are your hobbies outside of school?

I have trained dogs since I was 7 years old, so I spend much of my time with my Black Labrador Retriever, Rufus, and West Highland Terrier, Albie. I also mountain bike, run, do cross-fit, and play tennis, racquetball, and squash.

What is the most difficult part about being a college counselor?

The most challenging part of my job is trying to get students to take charge of the college-application process, which can begin as early as the summer between freshman and sophomore years. Selecting a college that is the right fit for the student is the first truly adult decision that a young person makes in her/his life, so that student — not the college counselor, not the parents — needs to drive the bus. The adults are just there to offer advice and direction, but the student has the keys and is in the driver’s seat.

What is the most rewarding part about being a college counselor?

Many parts of the my job are rewarding, from helping students figure out the Common Application and guiding them toward quality essays to seeing them satisfied with their choices and deciding where to go to college.

What is your favorite quote?

I have many favorite quotes, but I often find myself coming back to this from the Dalai Lama: “We must recognize that the suffering of one person or one nation is the suffering of humanity. That the happiness of one person or nation is the happiness of humanity.

What is a little known fact about yourself?

I have decades of experience as a public speaker and have delivered more a dozen eulogies in the past few years, even though I am not ordained in any religion. People seem to like how I can embody a person’s life in a 12-minute talk. I often rely on humor and irony when helping those in grief come to grips with the sad reality of a funeral.

Describe an experience or person who made a tremendous impact on your life.

My penchant for clear, concise, relevant writing come from three mentors: Winston Weathers, a longtime English professor at the University of Tulsa; my father, a journalist for 50 years; and Mark Murphy, a brilliant editor I worked with at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

What was your favorite subject in school and why?

English has always been my favorite subject, although I didn’t set out to become an English teacher when I finished undergraduate school. I like nuance, writing, ambiguity, complexity … and one finds those elements in literature.

What is a pet peeve of yours?

Drivers hogging the left lane on the highway and not moving over to let people pass.

What is your favorite type of music?

Classical, especially Mozart and Beethoven.

What inspired your career path?

As a journalist, I followed my father’s footsteps. As an English teacher, I satisfied my love of literature for many years. As a college counselor, I get to do a little bit of everything: research, English teaching, interviewing, public speaking, and information-gathering.

What is your favorite thing about RMA so far?

I have relished getting to know the RMA students, especially the seniors. They are a fun and funny group. I want to get to know the juniors as soon as possible, too, as well as the sophomores and freshmen. To do my job well, I have to know students as people, not just as numbers on a transcript or standardized test.