Top 10 Things RMA Seniors Will Miss About Rocky Mount

Colby Kirkpatrick, Editor-in-Chief

With graduation just around the corner and busy summers ahead for every Rocky Mount Academy senior, thoughts seem to be rooted into the future alone – where we will go to college, who our roommate will be, what we will study. However, we cannot move into this next chapter without first paying respect to the community that has shaped our values, built our character, and been a home to us these past eighteen years.   We, the RMA class of 2015, would like to remember Rocky Mount for the following:

10. Summers at the Pool: Whether it was Benvenue, Westridge, Birchwood, or another local facility, an afternoon at the pool with friends often marked a step toward independence in all our of childhoods.

9. The YMCA: Rocky Mount has one of the nicest YMCAs in the area, made successful by friendly staff, frequent events, and a wide variety of classes and equipment to stay fit. In athletic off-seasons, it has always been nice running into fellow teammates and friends at the Y.

8. Bike Rides: Middle school years often coincide with bike rides around the neighborhood with friends. Whether it was a trip to a friend’s house or a trek up to Harris Teeter, Tandem Bike rides are fond memories of simpler times in every graduating senior’s life.

7. El Tap’s Guacamole: El Tapatio’s guacamole is made in front of you right at your table and – along with a plate of chicken and rice – there is simply no better Friday night meal.

6. Downtown Live: Everyone knows that the Rocky Mount summer is here when the first Downtown Live band rolls into to town. The event brings the entire community together for nights of music and festivity, a tradition that is sure to be missed.

5. Honey Baked Hams’ Turkey Bacon Blitz: A menu item unique to Honey Baked’s Rocky Mount location, the Turkey Bacon Blitz is a staple for most customers. Even better than the delicious sandwiches, is seeing all of Rocky Mount Academy there on any given half day off school.

4. Seeing Everyone You Know at Harris Teeter: There is no such thing as a “quick trip” in Harris Teeter; you are sure to see a million people you know at any given hour. While it can be overwhelmingly familiar at times, this pattern is one of the many things that makes Rocky Mount truly feel like a community.

3. Central Café: There is no better burger or hot dog than those of locally owned and operated Central Café. With the friendliest serving staff around, Central is a must for college students returning home to meet friends and family for lunch.

2. Rocky Mount Academy: Teachers, teams, and friends are all a part of the RMA legacy each senior leaves behind after graduation. The comfort and support found within the walls of RMA will truly be missed by all RMA alumni.

1. Our Families and Friends: Where would any of us be if it were not for the love and support of our families and friends: our support systems? The people are what make our community so great and therefore easily will be the thing the Rocky Mount Academy class of 2015 will miss the most.