Lunch Bunch Program Starts at RMA

Lunch Bunch Program Starts at RMA

Davis Brown, Co-editor

Studies show that elementary school, particularly the third grade, is by far the most formative age in deciding a student’s success in education.  A new program at Rocky Mount Academy is attempting to maximize the educational impact of these important years.  “Lunch Bunch” is aimed to create a high interest in reading among third and fourth grade students.  Student interest in reading has been shown to correlate with higher test scores more so than even in-school instructional reading.   Interest-based reading also significantly helps ESL students; some studies show that interest based reading helps more than structured, in-school language instruction.  Finally, it has been shown that even a small amount of independent reading significantly helps critical thinking skills.

Lunch Bunch groups are led by parent and upper school volunteers who present and discuss interesting books to groups of three to four students.  The program introduces third and fourth grade students to a variety of genres, and allows volunteers from the Rocky Mount Academy community to share their interest in reading with the students.  Each group of books read to the students will present a wide range of reading levels, so the books will appeal to students with different reading abilities.  The program in essence introduces an informal atmosphere, where the students and the volunteers can have fun engaging in books in a low pressure environment.

Lunch Bunch has been made possible by dedicated volunteers and the thoughtful donation of books by the families of Rocky Mount Academy.   The program plans to continue on to the end of the year, and through next year.