Covolo Explores Possibility of Beijing-RMA Partnership

On March 3rd 2015, Rocky Mount Academy’s head of school Beth Covolo boarded a plane headed to Beijing to explore the possibility of a partnership with  Haidian Foreign Language School, one of China’s premier private boarding schools.

Covolo, along with the headmaster of Greenfield School and a college admissions director from High Point University, first met with students, faculty, and administration of the Haidian School. After a campus tour, Covolo observed classroom instruction, dined with chief administrator President Li, and met with the students who plan to study at RMA in 2016.  The day’s activities culminated in an honorary signing ceremony, a symbolic agreement recognizing both schools’ willingness and interest to initiate a partnership in the near future.

“This program would include not only an exchange between students on both ends, but also a professional development partnership beginning in January of 2016,” explains Covolo.

Though the Haidian School is larger than RMA by more than 4,000 students, the two institutions were both established on similar principles to meet nearly identical goals. Founded fifteen years ago, the Haidian School’s mission includes preparing students for success in college and life through the values of academics and character, just as RMA does – half a world away.  With heavy emphasis placed on the English language, all students at the Haidian School are enrolled in a rigorous language program starting at the age of five, resulting in English fluency by the time students are in elementary school.

Details of the partnership between the Haidian School and RMA are still being finalized, but the future for the program looks promising. If all continues as planned, a number of Chinese students in grades four and five will live in Rocky Mount for either the fall or spring semester and attend school at Rocky Mount Academy or Greenfield. In turn, RMA’s own middle and high school students will be presented with educational and travel opportunities to visit Beijing during their summers or during spring breaks.

After a productive visit to the Haidian School, Covolo took full advantage of her remaining days in China, using the time to tour other schools, meet with educational leaders, and even squeeze in some sightseeing.

First, Covolo visited the Jiayu International Department, where she was introduced to students who conversed with her regarding the pressures of China’s mandatory college entrance exam, the Gao Kao (a test that makes the SAT look like a cake walk in comparison.) Next, Covolo presented information on American educational opportunities for the executives at JD.Com, a Chinese commercial business similar to Amazon.

Covolo also traveled to two other schools: Mao Dun High School and Tongxiang Modern Experimental High School, both of whom greeted her with warmth and kindness. At Mao Dun, Covolo spent time exploring the institution’s art department. At the end of her stay, she gave them a copy of the RMA chorus CD recorded last year. In return, they presented her with a teacher publication and student-produced artwork.  In Tongxiang, Covolo met with Mayor Fey, an extraordinarily friendly and passionate man who also expressed interest in a partnership with Rocky Mount Academy in the future.

Between meetings and presentations, Covolo was able to experience the unique culture of China and delve into area’s rich history. She witnessed a lantern festival, walked the Great Wall, explored China’s History Museum, trekked through the Forbidden City, and toured Tienamen Square.

Returning to Rocky Mount on March 11th, 2015, Covolo arrived stateside with an exciting new partnership in the works and a whole new understanding for the international education system. As the program is finalized in the next few months, the RMA community looks forward to the educational opportunities, intellectual exchanges, and cultural diversity that the partnership could bring to our community.