Faculty Focus: Don Stancavish

Lindsey Ross, Photographer

This week’s faculty focus showcases an RMA favorite, Don Stancavish. Since 2007, Mr. Stancavish has been a jack of all trades at RMA when it comes to teaching. Over his eight years here, he has taught A.P. Economics, European History, U.S. History, Public Speaking, Personal Finance, and World Cultures. He has also served as the mentor of Key Club and Stock Market Club. Before he became a teacher, “Stank” worked as a reporter for Bloomberg for 15 years after earning his undergraduate degree from Johns Hopkins and a master’s degree in history at Rutgers University. While at RMA, Mr. Stancavish has written and published two novels, Fragile Grave, which tells of journalist who gets his big break, and The Pass, about a high school football star with a big heart.

To learn more about the many hobbies and talents of Mr. Stancavish, read the interview below:

1. Where are you from originally?

I grew up in Wilbraham, Massachusetts and in rural northeastern New Jersey in a placed called Independence Township. (It’s not on the map.) I attended Hackettstown High School. Hackettstown was the nearest town to Independence.

1. Where did you go to college?

Johns Hopkins University

1. Major? Why did you choose it?

Political Science. Hopkins recruited me to play football (wide receiver). I chose Hopkins because they had the best academics of the schools that wanted me to play football for them.

1. Post Grad School?

I earned a master’s degree in History from Rutgers University, with a minor in the History of Technology, the Environment, and Medicine from the New Jersey Institute of Technology. Rutgers is selling my thesis online as a book for $70. Don’t buy it. Way too expensive and I can tell you in five minutes what I wrote about.

1. What are your hobbies/interests?

I read and write books – fiction and non-fiction. I have published two novels and am finishing my third. It’s called The Lost Days of Lukas Ward and is young adult fiction. I also manage money and research investments. I find this relaxing.

1. Have you been involved in sports, music, art, etc. growing up? If so, elaborate.

I played sports since I was very young, starting with Little League baseball. I started playing football at age 10 and played until I was 20. I was all-conference and several newspapers chose me as all-area for football in junior and senior years.

In high school I ran track: the 100 meter and 200 meter sprints, and the 4X400 meter relay. In my junior and senior year in high school I made all-conference and all-district track and set a school record in the 200 meters. I can’t remember my time, but I doubt the record still stands.

So yeah, sports. And in high school I played Tom Jones in my senior years in the school play. It was called Tom Jones! I played the lead. I was awful.

1. Have you had any experiences abroad?

I’ve traveled all around, and I’ve been to Europe seven times. My bachelor party was there and I got married in Prague.

1. If you had to select one moment in your life that defined you, what would it be?

Go to your favorite search engine and type in “Hail Mary Football – The Story American Public Media.” Listen.

1. What made you want to pursue a career in teaching?

God, destiny, karma – all that stuff.

1. What is something nobody knows about you?

If I told you, then everyone would know.

1. What was your career before you starting teaching at RMA?

I worked as a journalist for 15 years, covering everything from crime to corporate restructurings.

1. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I live life one day at a time. When you do that, looking out 10 years is a pretty tough proposition. Sorry about that.

1. Describe a person who has made the biggest impact on your life.

My grandfather. He fought bravely for our nation in WWII and never asked for anything in return. He was part of a remarkable generation of American men and women.

1. What are your biggest pet peeves?

Loud people, dishonesty, phoniness of any kind, people who don’t take care of their pets.

1. Describe your dream vacation.

Spending a year or so visiting all the Scandinavian nations – Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden. Staying in small towns and trying to figure out why these people are among the happiest on our planet.

1. What is your favorite TV show and why?

Breaking Bad. Because Walter White is a bad-a**!

1. What is your favorite part of being at Rocky Mount Academy?

I have always enjoyed the students. The day I no longer get a kick out of being with the kids will be the day I leave.

Also, the school gives teachers the latitude to be creative so I can do cool things like teach American History backwards.

1. How long have you been at RMA?

Since the fall of 2007